musky1

envirotex problem

Or maybe there was moisture in the wood? I made a perch 'decoy' for my uncle to use ice fishing. I spray my wood with enamels. I used a gold for some reason, figuring it may show through somewhat. I had not used it before. He had used this decoy a few times, submerging it for a few hours at a time, when the paint and ET started to peel back. It was Christmas of 2002 when I made it for him. I was rushed to complete it in time and remember that I had not got a good coat of ET on it. I wanted him to return it to me so I could add a 2nnd or 3rd coat. He did not and it peeled. I sanded off everything and repainted. Left out the gold and used ET for 2 coats. So far so good. Seems moisture will affect it every time.

I don't believe you will get epoxyto really stick unless you have a good adhesion promoter as a basecoat. What you are doing is encapsulating the lure or whatever, and you need to get a film thickness evenly around the lure. Unless the lure or wood is sealed-the epoxy will get absorbed into the wood fibers which leaves less of a film bulid on the outside, causing it to fail down the road. Epoxy needs 24 hours to fully cure @ 70 degrees. Any cooler and it's a crapshoot.