craig beverley

Shooting Scales

I have been using mesh or netting to shoot scales onto my baits for some time now and the results are pretty good. However, having seen some of the work on the gallery, I was wondering how those overlapping scales are done. Is it done with a template or is it just pure airbrush skill? Any help would be greatfully recieved.

Craig - Try spraying a VERY LIGHT layer of scales over your paint, then epoxy- then another VERY LIGHT layer of scales, epoxy then another VARY LIGHT layer of scales then finish coat it. This is of course after you let each layer cure .Pete

That picture shows exactly what I ment. Solarfall has just uploaded two in the hardbait gallery and they too are what I was meaning. Hazmail's method sounds very good but not quite what I after, cheers though. I thought about painting the bait, then painting the outline of the scales with pva glue. Spray the scales and peel off the glue. But if there is a better method I either haven't seen it or just can't think of it.

That picture shows exactly what I ment. Solarfall has just uploaded two in the hardbait gallery and they too are what I was meaning. Hazmail's method sounds very good but not quite what I after, cheers though. I thought about painting the bait, then painting the outline of the scales with pva glue. Spray the scales and peel off the glue. But if there is a better method I either haven't seen it or just can't think of it.

if you are doing wood baits, there are scale tips for woodburners that decoy and fine art fishcarvers use... bit o' time there, though.

Shaun

heh this is the same answer that i gave you in the gallery section but i guess other people might be interests how it do it so here goes.

the scales i've done are made by a stencil that i made especially for doing the scales.. its basically a strip of paper with "half moons" cut out from it and you just move that starting from the head and spray the whatever color you have chosen to do the scales with and inter lap them as you go along towards the tail, it takes some time to do but once you get a hang of it its quite simple technique an will make your baits look that much cooler. ohhh and you need to spray some base paint to make it pop out black is what your after if your planing to do something realistic.

heh this is the same answer that i gave you in the gallery section but i guess other people might be interests how it do it so here goes.

the scales i've done are made by a stencil that i made especially for doing the scales.. its basically a strip of paper with "half moons" cut out from it and you just move that starting from the head and spray the whatever color you have chosen to do the scales with and inter lap them as you go along towards the tail, it takes some time to do but once you get a hang of it its quite simple technique an will make your baits look that much cooler. ohhh and you need to spray some base paint to make it pop out black is what your after if your planing to do something realistic.

Brilliant. Thanks alot. I put this posting on along with the comment in the gallery just to see how many techniques people employ to achieve the same sort of pattern. Thanks all. Once I've had a practice I'll put a picture or two in the gallery.smile.gif