jcheetam

Wrinkling With Dn

I've been a DNs user for about 2 years. I brush mine on, and always have. I've only had a couple baits wrinkle since I began using it, and those were the very first baits I cleared with it (before I really knew what heat setting was). That is, until today. I had 2 Lucky Craft BDS baits, both in the Matte Tiger pattern, wrinkle today...bad. I don't know if anyone has actually seen/held the Matte Tiger, but the finish is really different from other baits. It is almost rubbery (if that's a word). During the time I painted those baits, I also painted an RC 3.5, a DT 10, a Predator KO, and a Reaction Strike rEvolution swimbait. NONE of the other baits wrinkled. All baits were prepped the same way. All baits used the same paints. All baits were heat set the same (I probably go overboard when it comes to heat setting, but better safe than sorry, right?). So, could it be the different finish that had an affect on the baits? Having those 2 baits wrinkle leads me to think it can. Thoughts?

I have no idea what soft-touch clearcoat LC uses on their matte baits, but it seems you found out it ain't the normal stuff! I have a LC pointer with the same soft-touch coating. Seems like it some kind of silicone, but I really have no idea. I do know it tends to flake off the the lure pretty easily, so perhaps you can get underneath it and peel it off. Good luck.

I've been a DNs user for about 2 years. I brush mine on, and always have. I've only had a couple baits wrinkle since I began using it, and those were the very first baits I cleared with it (before I really knew what heat setting was). That is, until today. I had 2 Lucky Craft BDS baits, both in the Matte Tiger pattern, wrinkle today...bad. I don't know if anyone has actually seen/held the Matte Tiger, but the finish is really different from other baits. It is almost rubbery (if that's a word). During the time I painted those baits, I also painted an RC 3.5, a DT 10, a Predator KO, and a Reaction Strike rEvolution swimbait. NONE of the other baits wrinkled. All baits were prepped the same way. All baits used the same paints. All baits were heat set the same (I probably go overboard when it comes to heat setting, but better safe than sorry, right?). So, could it be the different finish that had an affect on the baits? Having those 2 baits wrinkle leads me to think it can. Thoughts?

The finish on those Lucky's are extremely sensitive to solvent. Found out the hard way myself. It only takes about 30 seconds to take it off, however. Lightly brush it with lacquer thinner and as soon as it wrinkles, which will be pretty much immediately, wipe it off with a paper towel. You don't want to use too much thinner or for too long as it will soften the plastic of the bait. It may be best to work in sections until you get a feel for it. I have been doing this on my Lucky repaints and it has worked out really well.

The finish on those Lucky's are extremely sensitive to solvent. Found out the hard way myself. It only takes about 30 seconds to take it off, however. Lightly brush it with lacquer thinner and as soon as it wrinkles, which will be pretty much immediately, wipe it off with a paper towel. You don't want to use too much thinner or for too long as it will soften the plastic of the bait. It may be best to work in sections until you get a feel for it. I have been doing this on my Lucky repaints and it has worked out really well.

My buddy David Sullivan told me the same thing about those particular Lucky Crafts. What I would do is apply a non-solvent containing coat over the L. C. finish, and then apply my DN on top of that. Component Systems clear coat would work for this, as would Devcon 2-ton, or another non-solvent containing epoxy, which means that E-tex might NOT work as it contains a bit of solvent. Whenever I use epoxy beneath DN, I prep the epoxy by scuffing, and then washing with dish soap, and am careful to not contaminate the surface with a fingerprint or a paper towel, unless it is that non-oil-containing kind specified for glass cleaning.

[found the same thing with DN I use a commercial only system 3 on hardbaits i think it works better than any of the others on the market and sets much harder I have actually beat the clearcoat on my workbench with a wafflehead hammer and it doesnt chip or shatter I have tried most others and they arent chip or shatter proof.Just my $0.02 worth