meallenjr

? About Jannsnetcraft Unpainted Crankbaits

I got one down to about 14'. I really don't like there deep diver. I'm a hard core deep cranker and do alot of target fishing (hitting underwater brush piles that I sank in 14 to 18 feet of water). The few janns 5' crankbaits that I've fished seem to hang fairly easy, telling me that they do not back out of hang ups very well and I've had to retreave them more often them the better market lures. I beleave you get what you pay for. I also beleave that the Bomber Fat Free Shad witch is the same in size will out fish the jann's 5' diver hands down. Some good deep divers for me are Bomber 9A's, Mudbugs. Rapala DT16 or 20 and Normans DD22. I also build some of my deep divers, but have a hard time getting myself to pull one down in the wood, "fear of getting hung up and losing a lure I worked weeks on to lose it in just a few minutes- but thats fishing LOL.This is just my thoughts.

BUT "I sure do like Jann's rattle baits" now they will catch them in the spring.

Good info, I ordered 5 and thought the same thing. Looks very similar to a Yo-Zuri Crank-n-Dive Magnum, which has caught bass, large pike, and walleye for me in the 20' range. Not bad for ~ $1 IMO.

I've also ordered three different ones from Janns. It will be interesting to see if they have any action when I wet them in a couple of months.

What is the depth range of the 5" deep diver

The 5 inch is useless from my experience but the 4 inch is a good bait. It is copied after a Norman bait. I have to grind the lips on the 5 inch to get them to work like I want them which is time consuming and trial and error usually getting 1 out of 5 to work like I want them to. The 4 inch ususally will work without much modifications but you will still experience a few that just can't be tuned. This has been my experience from all unpainted cranks I have tried, if I can get 3 out of 5 to work right I am happy.

The 1/2 ounce rattle traps from Janns are decent. I ususally dump out all the small bb's and then I have a single tap lure which seems to catch as many fish as a One Knocker. Again trial and error but for me they work and are a lot cheaper. My problem with the One Knocker is that it acts as a built in plug knocker. You can get a lot of fish to bite it but very few actually in the boat, the worst loss ratio of all the rattle trap type baits I have used. The Janns seems to allow me to put a few more fish in the boat.