bobv

Lc Fix

Any of you guys have tips on replacing broken bills on Lucky Craft cranks? I have several 1.5 and 2.5 that the bill has broken clear off or broken off a corner. Looks like lots of places sell bill and material to make them, just not sure how to remove the remaining parts of the original.

I've never tried to replace bills on plastic crankbaits, just wooden ones. There are several problems I see. The original lips are molded as part of a hollow bodied bait. If you cut them off and then cut a slot for the new lip, you're into the hollow body and there is limited surface to glue the new lip onto. It also has to be a 100% perfect cut and glue job to prevent water infiltration. All said and done, it may not be impossible but it sure ain't gonna be easy. I'd just trim the lip to square it off and fish it as a shallower running bait.

I've never tried to replace bills on plastic crankbaits, just wooden ones. There are several problems I see. The original lips are molded as part of a hollow bodied bait. If you cut them off and then cut a slot for the new lip, you're into the hollow body and there is limited surface to glue the new lip onto. It also has to be a 100% perfect cut and glue job to prevent water infiltration. All said and done, it may not be impossible but it sure ain't gonna be easy. I'd just trim the lip to square it off and fish it as a shallower running bait.

There is not enough bill left to use. These aren't the usual bill like a bandit they actually look like circuit board material. I'm not sure they aren't added after molding the body. If they were glued in how would you remove the old one?

You can sometimes use a heat gun or hair dryer to soften the glue bond and then break it out with pliers. Looking at my RC1.5's, the lips are integral to the body. Don't know if you have other baits with circuit board lips, but it's unmistakable and doesn't look like plastic at all - it's usually a slightly greenish white. I've never seen a LC bait with circuit board lip. But it looks like you have nothing to lose! Good luck!

I have replaced the lip in one LC 1.5. I used my dremel to grind away the lip that was left. That left me with a plastic bait with no lip. I then, very carefully, cut a slot where the original lip had been. The cut was just thin enough to get some circuit board into. Then I had a plastic bait that had a slot cut into it without getting into the hollow innards. Glued the circuit board lip in and fished with it. Does very well.

David