RayburnGuy

Tilapia In Lake Falcon And Amistad

Does anyone have pictures of the Tilapia they have in Lakes Falcon and Amistad? Or know where to find them? I've searched the internet and read that they are the Blue Tilapia. After doing a search on "blue tilapia" I came up with countless variations of the same fish and have looked at pictures of tilapia until I'm cross-eyed. :wacko: Still not sure which ones they have in South Texas. Anyone?

thanks guys,

Ben

Does anyone have pictures of the Tilapia they have in Lakes Falcon and Amistad? Or know where to find them? I've searched the internet and read that they are the Blue Tilapia. After doing a search on "blue tilapia" I came up with countless variations of the same fish and have looked at pictures of tilapia until I'm cross-eyed. :wacko: Still not sure which ones they have in South Texas. Anyone?

thanks guys,

Ben

Ben, I ran up against the same problem. That's how I ended up painting the pattern of the wrong fish on that other lure. When I paint local Tennessee patterns, I use the state wildlife resources agency website for source photos. We are lucky, they have are really good selection of photos. Check it out Photo Gallery of Tennessee Reservoir/Big River Fish

I am sure Texas must have something similar. I am actually going to be asking TWRA if it would be possible for me to go on one of their shock fishing runs to take my own shots for reference.

I have pictures of tilapia from Amistad, Falcon, and Choke Canyon. I am heading out to Lake Amistad right now, so I can not get to the pictures until Sunday evening.

If you look at the "El Salto Tilapia Crankbaits" post, you will see a green tilapia. That fish was caught at Amistad.

I will post a picture of a big Falcon tilapia. That is one blue dude.

Of course all these pictures are going to cost you. Maybe a few tilapia colored cranks and lipless cranks!!!!!!

Anyway, have a good weekend and catch a few.

Thanks for all the help guys. Think I'm going to try painting one of these next. Will let ya'll know how it turns out.

That's an awesome site Tom. They've got some great photo's. Will have to check if we have something like that.

thanks again,

Ben

Edited by RayburnGuy

Here we go.

This first picture is of an Amistad tilapia. Not the best photo, but it does have a green tint to it.

Tilapia004-Amistad.jpg

This next photo is of a Falcon tilapia. Definite blue tint to it.

tilapia009-Falcon.jpg

Now with all of these pictures of tilapia, I have to tell you a story. I had John Hopkins make me a blue tilapia swimbait for Falcon. Just so you know, I have had more success with it at Amistad than at Falcon. I do not own a green tilapia swimbait, so I can not tell you if the green would out perform the blue. I do know that Amistad is a much better swimbait lake because it is very clear.

Hope this helps you guys...