hazmail

Balsa Shortage

I don't use Balsa, but I got this from someone who should know, 'There is a going to be a world wide Balsa shortage', so get out and buy your stash, especially in the larger sizes. They say that Balsa is supposed to be being used for insulation in fridges etc, as it's supposed to be more 'environmentally friendly' than foams etc, who knows!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Pete

Pete, thanks for the info! I can see it now, bait builders buying and stripping the balsa out of refridgerators, leaving lots of uninsulated fridges for sale on ebay! For conspiracy theorists everywhere, I wonder if someone in the balsa industry is "leaking" this rumor to energize balsa sales? Or perhaps someone is trying to create a self-fulfilling prophecy, whereby everyone who uses and depends on balsa, panics, and begins buying and hoarding balsa, which creates the predictied shortage? It could happen! maybe...

Dean

Dean- It has happened here with water, they have been telling us for nine years we are having a drought, BUT suddenly everyone seems to be up to their ears in water:lol:laugh.gif:lol:.

And it's about time.Pete

lure prof i think you could be on to something never trust industery they will be the end of us some day.I wach the local market's and see how small inc do and over the pired of two year's lot's of compeny's fold and are bout out. by tactic's used by suplyer's an so forth.

I don't see how balsa would serve the purpose. Cork in my opinion would be a better choice. I have feared for years that balsa would become very expensive because of the de-forrestation issue but from what I have learned about balsa is that harvesting balsa is not a major concern among activists groups as is other woods being cut down in rain forrest areas.

Hopefuly balsa will be available and affordable for many years to come.

All this is starting to remind me of the Great Toilet Paper Shortage that struck the United States back in 1973. Of course, the shortage was nothing more than a baseless rumor, but that didn't stop panicked consumers from storming the supermarkets and stripping the shelves of every last roll. I actually saw a guy in a large pickup truck drive past with the entire truck bed piled high with cases of toilet paper. His unfortunate wife was riding back there as well, holding down the cargo. Folks who refused to take part in the stampede often found themselves in the unenviable position of being forced to make do with old newspapers and leftover fast food wrappers. Guess you could say they were wiped out in the panic. Nobody knows who started the rumor, but if the balsa situation reaches the point where desperate lure builders start donning masks and snatching balsa gliders from kids in the park, we can probably trace this one back to Pete.