bassbandit25

How Do I Get The Original Paint Off The Lure To Custom Paint It?

If you are wanting the bait to be clear to paint a "ghost" pattern, use 220 grit wet/dry paper to remove the paint then go back over with 400 to smooth it out. If not, the just use the 400 to scuff the existing paint and paint right over it. Don't worry about cloudiness on a clear bait as the scratches will be filled when you epoxy the lure and will take away that cloudiness giving you a clear or "ghost" effect.

I agee with Luke. I know guys have stripped baits with fingernail polish remover but it was a pain in the butt and very messy when I tried it. When I MUST strip the finish off a plastic lure, I can sometimes peel it off with a sharp thin blade knife (notice I say peel and not scrape). If there is no critical weight issue (like with a small suspending jerkbait), you don't need to remove the old finish, just sand it lightly so your new finish will adhere well. You can sand all the finish off with 220 and 400 grit paper but you will lose any small 3d features if there are any. The ideal method is a blast booth and the right abrasive media.

Edited by BobP

ive been picking it off with my nails and a knife. It just takes too long there has to be an easier way to get the paint off lures. If you have any advice please help.

Removing old paint from a plug:

To remove paint from a wood plug ( have not tried this on any plastic plugs - it might melt them) - put the lure into a glass bottle ( I use an empty- widemouth bottle of Pasta Sauce from the grocery store)...after eating the sauce. Put a couple of ounces of unleaded gas into the wide mouthed bottle - don't need to completely cover the plug...as you will put the lid on and shake it up to completely coat the plug.....

Allow it to sit and soak for a couple of hours...then take out the plug and get some Ajax or other scouring powerer and an old toothbrush ( hard bristles work best) and then scrub the plug with some of the gas from the bottle under the water spout in your bathroom sink.....walla ya - it will remove all the paint from your plug down to the bare wood...with a little scrubbing.

Lots cheaper and cleaner than trying to use regular paint remover...that stuff costs about $ 7.00 a can...and is somewhat dangerous to use.

Hope this works for you......Steve

ive been picking it off with my nails and a knife. It just takes too long there has to be an easier way to get the paint off lures. If you have any advice please help.

stripping the paint off my old creek chubs to repaint i just soaked them in thompson waterproofing overnight and you could just rub the old paint off....hope this helps , worked for me

Bandit you neglected to mention whether you were working with wood or plastic bodied lures. Before I started soaking plastic bodies in anything I'd make sure it wasn't going to melt the plastic or discolor the lip as well as the old paint. Just my :twocents:

RG

Edited by RayburnGuy