apaseman

What Size Needle Do You Use For Airbrushing Baits?

Now let me say that I only paint swim baits from 4" and up so I use a 5or8 to base coat. Then change to a 3or5 for scales. Then for datails I use a 2or3. To be real honest i dont use a 2 very much. I have to many brushes though. In my opinion though a 3 or 5 is a good choice for a one brush shop. These will cover most situations. Frank

If you're going to shoot pearl and flake paints that are thicker or have larger particles, I think an airbrush with a .3 to .35mm tip is a good "one brush only" choice. There are lots of good brushes available with this tip size. I use and like an Iwata Revolution BR and it is value priced at around $70. You could also choose a brush like a Badger 150 or Paasche VL that comes with multiple tips. When I used Paasche and Badger brushes, I never used the larger tips and so eventually migrated to airbrushes from Iwata. I use a .3mm tip brush for color basecoating and flakes. I switch to a .2mm tip Iwata for shading and details. There is really no answer that is right for everyone. Best tip size depends on how you individually work with an airbrush, how well you learn to control it. You can only find that out by using one.

If you're going to shoot pearl and flake paints that are thicker or have larger particles, I think an airbrush with a .3 to .35mm tip is a good "one brush only" choice. There are lots of good brushes available with this tip size. I use and like an Iwata Revolution BR and it is value priced at around $70. You could also choose a brush like a Badger 150 or Paasche VL that comes with multiple tips. When I used Paasche and Badger brushes, I never used the larger tips and so eventually migrated to airbrushes from Iwata. I use a .3mm tip brush for color basecoating and flakes. I switch to a .2mm tip Iwata for shading and details. There is really no answer that is right for everyone. Best tip size depends on how you individually work with an airbrush, how well you learn to control it. You can only find that out by using one.

This post from bob is spot on. I have been using differant spraying type guns for more than thirty years and can get pretty much any gun or brush to do what i want. I would venture to guess I can get a full size gun used to paint cars and paint a bait. But I use them alot. So getting one and using it is the best bet. Buying a quality brush is always a good thing cause there really is a differance.

I use different sizes. 0.5 is good for priming, basecoating, and clearcoating, also good for paints that have really big flakes. 0.3's do most work, they'll spray pearls and metallics, but can get fine enough for most detail. 0.2 for really fine stuff where I need hairlines or only want a tiny bit of paint coming through the nozzle.

If you can only have one.......0.3. fine enough but big enough for most paints......and a GOOD 0.3 mm brush will spray water based pearls and metallics without much problem.