Wilmy

Greetings

Hi guys,

I've just registered and I thought I'd take the time to say hello.

I'm from South Africa and a co-organiser of the Kickboat Bass Classic. I love to use topwater poppers, frogs etc for largemouth bass and am setting out on the journey of making my own baits.

After much surfing I came across tackleunderground and it looks like the right place to be. For now I'll just be asking questions and getting my ducks in a row. Once I get into the swing of things I'll give back to the community and share my findings, how I made certain lures and the successes I will inevitably have with them.

Welcome always love hearing new people are getting interested in custom baits. Hope you can find everything your looking for on here any questions just ask you always can get help on here.

Thanks BB25,

There is a question I need answered, I've used the search facility and can't find an answer...

What are the basic hand tools I need to get started?

Welcome aboard Wilmy! Lots of knowledgeable lure builders here...should get all the help you need. I wish you many hours of fun & enjoyment in your new hobby! Check out the forums section...many of the questions you would ask probably have already been asked & you can find the answers there. If you can't find an answer to a question just ask....someone will respond with an answer or point you in the right direction.

Have fun!

Tim

Welcome aboard Wilmy! Lots of knowledgeable lure builders here...should get all the help you need. I wish you many hours of fun & enjoyment in your new hobby! Check out the forums section...many of the questions you would ask probably have already been asked & you can find the answers there. If you can't find an answer to a question just ask....someone will respond with an answer or point you in the right direction.

Have fun!

Tim

Thanks for the welcome.

I just noticed something that I've never seen in a forum before. "You can make 22 more posts until Today, 04:03 PM." Why is there a restriction on posts?

Thanks for the welcome.

I just noticed something that I've never seen in a forum before. "You can make 22 more posts until Today, 04:03 PM." Why is there a restriction on posts?

That is a good question. Try pm-ing a moderator. It could be because of the new update, the sytem was running slow and they wanted to even out use. Since this forum is Homebrew Tools, it may have been answered elsewhere.

For tools, it depends upon what you are making. Since I work totally with cork, soft woods and foam, I have a small hobby lathe, drying wheel, Dremel drill press and tools plus a lot of jigs and fixtures bought and made for dipping, drying and drilling. I always have 3-4 special projects running and acquire tools as needed for those. Hope this helps.

Good luck and welcome aboard.

John

Just like BR said it depends on what your making or what you wish to make. If you want to paint crankbaits you need an air brush (the cheapest is a paasche) and a compressor you need to build a spray booth you need paints a clear coat,glitter if you like glitter on them i suggest the absolute smallest glitter you can find,paint thinner,masking tape to make designs on the bait,and you need a drying wheel

If you want to make jigs i like to use barlowstackle.com hes got great deals on shipping. For getting started with jigs you need some clean lead a lead pot i suggest a Lees you need a flux, gloves!!, a mold depending on what you use say a jig mold. With a jig mold you need the weed gaurds,hooks that fit the mold, make sure if you get a jig mold it has base hole pins its a pain without them,and powder paint you 100% need unless you want to air brush

I dont kno much about soft plastics so someone else will have to fill you in.

If you want to learn about what you need for rod building just PM or E-mail me.

Hope you get an idea of what you need from this.