Pike catcher

Lure Clampimg

I use both the hemostats and the exacto knife handles. I also picked up a hobby vice at Hobby Lobby to position and hold the exacto or hemostat that holds the lure when I needed both hands free. The advantage of the hobby vice is that it allows you to position the lure pretty much any way you want it while painting. Also use it when taping off bills so I don't touch the bait with my hands which can leave traces of oil on the bait.

RG

I just wondered what you guys use to clamp your lures in when you paint them. i was thinking of buying a fly tying vice but i dont want to waist my money if there not up to the job . anyone got any ideas

I use needle-nose vice grips...clamp them on the eyehooks & hold vice grip in my hand. Inexpensive set of vice grips can be bought for less than the "Vice grip" brand. Dont mind getting paint on the less expensive ones.

When I havent installed

eyehooks yet ,like on a thru-wire I insert a tight fitting nail into the drilled hole & clamp nail with vice grip.

When I need to hold down the lure without using my hand I clamp the vice grip in the same vice used for bending wire for the thru wire--downside of that is...bolted to bench--cant put it into a spray booth. I lower air pressure & put a box fan with a 20 x 20 house filter bungeed behind it to draw fumes away.

There are shop vices that resemble a flytying vice, that have a srew type hold down clamp that could be moved around for convenience--not bolted to bench...more mobile