rockdog23

Down Draft Paint Booth Question

I am in the process of designing and building a new paint booth. I went with a down draft design, my question is where should the air flow be coming from the top of the booth? Should it be right on top of the painting area, slightly behind or in front? I also have the same question for the intake(outflow) at the bottom of the booth. Thanks!

I don't know if I can help or not, but I will say that I built my own side draft booth this past summer to paint motorcycle parts in mainly. I posted some built pics on this forum so you should be able to find those if you wanna see it. I was not able to put my intake directly across from my exhaust as i'd of liked, but instead had to install them in a side wall, but it doesn't seem to hurt anything other then it caused a bit of a circular flow of air thru the room instead of a straight flow.....Irreguardless, it'll clear the 10'X12' room in just a few seconds after spraying with a full size paint gun, so it does what I needed it to do.

One of the things I learned was, that air tends to act like water in that it takes the path of least resistance.....you can put all the intake filters you want behind you on the wall, but if there is a gap under the door next to the exhaust, then as much air as possible will come thru under the door instead of going thru the intake filters. Once I sealed up the threshold below the booth door I found air being pulled into my booth thru the light/fan switch box and recepticals....even around the light fixture in the ceiling....Once I get all those little holes sealed up then hopefully"ALL" incoming air will get filtered thru the intake filters, but untill then air takes the easy path to the exhaust fan....lol.

My exhaust fan is mounted on the outside of the shop, and blows straight down on the ground from about 2ft above it.....My exhaust filters do a good enough job that I never see any signs of paint colors or clear being deposted on the ground....Yeah you can stand next to it while i'm painting and smell paint fumes but you don't see overspray or anything coming out.