QuickLures

Mold Materials?

Never used urethane, but there are quite a number of sources for silicone mold materials. Smooth-on, Easy Cast, Alumilite, e.g., You can use silicone putty or the pourable stuff. Silicone doesn't require a mold release, as it doesn't stick to much of anything other than another piece of silicone. (at least in my experience) I've been told urethane requires a mold release, though like I said, I've never used it. The putty can be tricky to use; you've only got a couple of minutes before it sets up once you mix it and there's no margin for error. There are some threads here with discussions about the pourable stuff. I'm going to give that a try the next time I run out of putty. It's not that easy to get the putty into all the nooks and crannies that your master might have. Still, I've made some very usable molds for saltwater tins with the putty.

You can also try 100% silicone. It is a really cheap alternative. Here is a link to a thread on this site that will tell you everything you need to know Cheap RTV silicone mold making

It isn't as good as the pourable stuff from Smooth-on or Alumilite but it is far cheaper and is great for making prototypes. The thread is in the soft plastic forum but I have been using 100% silicone for making prototype hard resin swimbaits. I have been making 2 piece molds.