BrownPigs

Removing Paint For Repaints

I refinish plastic lures almost exclusively so I will comment on those. Most of them I just sand them down with sandpaper. If the lure is in good shape I just scuff up the existing paint with 400 grit, wash it in the sink with Dawn dish washing detergent to remove any oils, dry it and then start painting. If the lure has ridges or other imperfections, such as those where the two halves are glued together, I sand them down with 220 grit until they're even. Sometimes I run back over it with 400 grit after the 220. On lures that have details etched into them, like scale patterns, I use a mini sandblaster. The one I have was actually designed for etching glass. I run the mini blaster over the areas with details and then go back to the sandpaper to finish the rest of it.

I refinish plastic lures almost exclusively so I will comment on those. Most of them I just sand them down with sandpaper. If the lure is in good shape I just scuff up the existing paint with 400 grit, wash it in the sink with Dawn dish washing detergent to remove any oils, dry it and then start painting. If the lure has ridges or other imperfections, such as those where the two halves are glued together, I sand them down with 220 grit until they're even. Sometimes I run back over it with 400 grit after the 220. On lures that have details etched into them, like scale patterns, I use a mini sandblaster. The one I have was actually designed for etching glass. I run the mini blaster over the areas with details and then go back to the sandpaper to finish the rest of it.

Thanks for the info. I have done some musky baits where I just sanded them down. I wouldn't have thought of using a mini sandblaster to preserve the details