StrykerLures

Homemade Airbrush Cleaner?

I'm wondering if any of your guys have found any household products like Soap or something That's similar to the "Airbrush Cleaner" you can buy? I got a bottle of it that I got with my paint and have airbrushed with it for like 5 times and its almost gone and I don't wanna keep spending all that money on just cleaner. Any Ideas of what else I can use? Thanks a lot guys. :worship:

hi there i saw an airbrush tutorial on you tube where window cleaner was being used for cleaning up after water based paints. i have used it (windex brand here in australia) with good results. i was using auto air paints.

cheers JR...

Cleaners like Windex contain ammonia and will erode the chrome plating on an airbrush. They work well, but you pay a price in the long run. I use plain water in a spray bottle to clean my gravity feed brushes between colors. Shoot it in the bowl, spray it through the brush into a trash can, then backwash the brush by holding your finger over the tip and pulling the trigger. Gets it clean in less than a minute. At session's end, I disassemble the brush and clean everything with solvent. Every few months, I take the brush apart and soak it overnight in airbrush cleaning solution. If you prefer to mix your own or use an alternative cleaners, check out airbrush.com's Tips and Tricks section. There are dozens of home brew cleaners/reducers/thinners suggested there.

hi there i saw an airbrush tutorial on you tube where window cleaner was being used for cleaning up after water based paints. i have used it (windex brand here in australia) with good results. i was using auto air paints.

cheers JR...

Depends what paint you use but for w/b acrylics I use Methylated Spirits (that's Denatured Alcohol there) - there is also a new ammonia free Windex out that should not eat away your brush.Pete

Edited by hazmail

I'm using Createx Paint for my Lures, I have a new "Master S622-L Professional Twin Pack Studio Airbrush Set". Last time I used them one of them was Clogged from a Piece of Dried Paint I apparently didn't get out even though I cleaned it thoroughly :P so I cleaned it for 2 hours, used half a bottle of that Airbrush cleaner and a Gallon of water and washed it sooooo many times and I still couldn't get the tiny dried piece out, I have it soaking in water for a little bit before Hook up my Air Compressor and try blowing it out. But I need to have something to clean out paint better so this wouldn't happen in the first place :blink:

Edited by StrykerLures

I'm using Createx Paint for my Lures, I have a new "Master S622-L Professional Twin Pack Studio Airbrush Set". Last time I used them one of them was Clogged from a Piece of Dried Paint I apparently didn't get out even though I cleaned it thoroughly :P so I cleaned it for 2 hours, used half a bottle of that Airbrush cleaner and a Gallon of water and washed it sooooo many times and I still couldn't get the tiny dried piece out, I have it soaking in water for a little bit before Hook up my Air Compressor and try blowing it out. But I need to have something to clean out paint better so this wouldn't happen in the first place :blink:

Soak it in Createx Airbrush Restorer. It will soften the dried paint and make it much easier to clean. Have got mine submerged right now in a sonic jewelry cleaner loaded with the airbrush restorer. First time using the jewelry cleaner. Still waiting to see how effective it is.

Soak it in Createx Airbrush Restorer. It will soften the dried paint and make it much easier to clean. Have got mine submerged right now in a sonic jewelry cleaner loaded with the airbrush restorer. First time using the jewelry cleaner. Still waiting to see how effective it is.

Let us know how that jewelry cleaner works out.

I'm wondering if any of your guys have found any household products like Soap or something That's similar to the "Airbrush Cleaner" you can buy? I got a bottle of it that I got with my paint and have airbrushed with it for like 5 times and its almost gone and I don't wanna keep spending all that money on just cleaner. Any Ideas of what else I can use? Thanks a lot guys. :worship:

I don't know it this sounds stupid or obvious......but soon after I use a color I take off the jar(my air brush is a bottom feed) shake out the excess paint then spray a jar of plain old water for a second...... then place my finger against the tip to back wash all the excess paint in the nozzle........ hope this helps... jugheadbait.com

Windex and Clorox put out window/all purpose cleaner that contains no ammonia. I use the Clorox version its called "green works natural all-purpose cleaner". Works great and you don't have to worry about effects of the ammonia on the chrome because it doesn't have any.

I used Createx, Polytranspar and Wildlife and I started using Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol.

Haven't seen any problems from using so far. Maybe someone can shed some light here if this is a bad idea.

I'll shoot it thru my a/b to clean it out and clean out the paint. I'll also squirt some on a paper towel and wipe down my needle to remove any paint. Works well for cleaning out the tip.

If I want to really give my a/b a really good cleaning then I will take it a part and soak the parts in something a little stronger overnight.

Windex and Clorox put out window/all purpose cleaner that contains no ammonia. I use the Clorox version its called "green works natural all-purpose cleaner". Works great and you don't have to worry about effects of the ammonia on the chrome because it doesn't have any.

-

+1, I just use the Windex that says 'Ammonia Free' on the bottle. And this is on my cheap 2-stage Harbor Freight brush............so far so good. wink.gif

I'm very new to airbrushing also, but I've been using a 50/50 mix of distilled water and rubbing alcohol to clean my brushes. I actually run that mix through the brushes every little bit during color changes just to help keep clogs out. I have the airbrush cleaner I soak the parts in every month or so. I don't paint many baits at all, so I don't have to tear it down as often.

Cleaners like Windex contain ammonia and will erode the chrome plating on an airbrush. They work well, but you pay a price in the long run. I use plain water in a spray bottle to clean my gravity feed brushes between colors. Shoot it in the bowl, spray it through the brush into a trash can, then backwash the brush by holding your finger over the tip and pulling the trigger. Gets it clean in less than a minute. At session's end, I disassemble the brush and clean everything with solvent. Every few months, I take the brush apart and soak it overnight in airbrush cleaning solution. If you prefer to mix your own or use an alternative cleaners, check out airbrush.com's Tips and Tricks section. There are dozens of home brew cleaners/reducers/thinners suggested there.

If you don't want to use Windex, you can go to any automotive store like Kragen or Napa Autoparts and get the "Eagle 1" brand glass cleaner. It works as well as windex and it does not contain ammonia.

Airbrush Cleaner

100 mil Windex (without ammonia) or Glass Plus

150 mil Distilled Water

70 mil Isopropyl alcohol (91%)

10 drops of Glycerin (Available at most drugstores)

Paint (Acrylic) Thinner

175 mil Distilled Water

75 mil isopropyl alcohol (91%)

10-15 drops of Glycerin

I have been using these for about 1-yr without any problems.  These came from a YouTube website, cannot remember who did it, but there are plenty out there using similar mixtures. I buy 250 mil plastic squeeze bottles from Amazon and put marks for the appropriate fill levels of each of the major ingredients (windex, water & alcohol).

• Like 1

Windshield washer fluid works well for me.  Gallon jug less than 3 bucks and no ammonia Used to add alcohol 25% but did not see a difference.  Some of the off brand acrylics I will add a couple drops of dawn detergent, . Ive started a final rinse using lacqure thinner and no dirty gun since

• Like 1