StrykerLures

What Kind Of Wooden Lure Basecoat/crack Filler Do You Use?

Hey guys, I had a question for anything who has an opinion. What kind of "Filler" do you use to put over your whole wooden lure (then sand it down) to make it 100% smooth for paint? I used some wood filler on the whole Lure for a while and then would sand it down when it dried. Now I'm using Dry-wall filler before the paint which works well. What are you guys using as the filler? Any opinions would be great guys. Thanks a lot.

Hey guys, I had a question for anything who has an opinion. What kind of "Filler" do you use to put over your whole wooden lure (then sand it down) to make it 100% smooth for paint? I used some wood filler on the whole Lure for a while and then would sand it down when it dried. Now I'm using Dry-wall filler before the paint which works well. What are you guys using as the filler? Any opinions would be great guys. Thanks a lot.

I have used spray shellac or a thin coat of D2T. I guess you could thin the Devcon with Acetone.

Edited by Polecat

I use either Devcon 2T thinned with denatured alcohol or propionate (aka prop) dissolved in acetone. The Devcon needs to be sanded afterwards. The prop is done in multiple dips and leaves a smooth surface that doesn't require sanding. Both products also form a durable waterproof undercoating, which I think is a good idea on wood baits.

I fill anything that needs it with wood filler or dry wall filler then dip them in a homade Proportionate that I had(basically plastic cups dissolved in paitn thinner).... that leaves them sealed and somewhat smooth. I usually scuff and final sand after dipping in the prop. I have tried the devcon and it makes a harder finish. I was was using balsa i would go this route.