RayburnGuy

Straining Paint

Can some of you guys tell me what you use and the way in which you use it to strain paint? Every time I've tried to strain paint I always end up with a mess. And that was with larger containers and doing it outside. The paint strainers I'm used to are the larger ones for straining larger amounts of paint. Do they make smaller strainers to use when your only straining an ounce or so for airbrushing? I've heard of using ladies nylon stockings, but wondering how to go about it without getting paint everywhere. I'm open to any and all suggestions.

thanks guys,

RG

ps Forgot to mention I'm using water based Createx if that makes a difference.

Edited by RayburnGuy

Can some of you guys tell me what you use and the way in which you use it to strain paint? Every time I've tried to strain paint I always end up with a mess. And that was with larger containers and doing it outside. The paint strainers I'm used to are the larger ones for straining larger amounts of paint. Do they make smaller strainers to use when your only straining an ounce or so for airbrushing? I've heard of using ladies nylon stockings, but wondering how to go about it without getting paint everywhere. I'm open to any and all suggestions.

thanks guys,

RG

ps Forgot to mention I'm using water based Createx if that makes a difference.

Hello Rayburn. This is going to sound a bit weird, but what I use now that works real good at straining paints are women's stockings. I came across this method on youtube while researching a better way to strain paints. Before this, I experimented with all types coffee filters. I was wasting a lot of paint with coffee filters. Basically, what I do is I get a coffee cup, the paper ones. Then I cut them in half and then I cut away the bottom of the paper cup. I then slide the stocking over it creating a sieve. Works way better than coffee filters. I will try to find the video and post it.

Hey Ben,

I use Createx and a gravity-feed Iwata. I cut small pantyhose pieces, about 1" x 1", and stretch them a little over the top and threads of the bottles, and while holding a patch in place, I screw on the (clean) cap. Now when I squeeze a few drops, or a cup full of paint, it gets strained on the way to the airbrush cup. I have to replace the pantyhose every once in a while, but not too often. I keep tweezers nearby to pull a bit of dried paint from around the "spout" if need be. Shake the paint thoroughly as usual before use. This simple system virtually eliminates those annoying little clogs.