CMARTIN269

Still Having E-tex Hassles

I'm having terrible issues with E-Tex,I finally got a batch of baits that had very few dimples by going back and brushing them out ,after about an hour on the drying wheel.

I'm still getting baits that feel like they have an oily film on them and the more you handle them the duller the finish gets.I measure with syringes in small amounts (1ml)I mix for three or four minutes

I don't know what im doing wrong .I looked at some past post and people were talking about how thin it was that it went on almost like water . Iv'e bought two different packages and they are both kind of thick almost like Devcon . Also does temperature have anything to do withit ,seems to be acting abot the same now that it is 80 as it did when it was 30. I am really trying to make this E-Tex work

for me,but it just so much more labor intensive,than devcon,and i am willing to do the work if i can figure what i'm doing wrong.

I'm having terrible issues with E-Tex,I finally got a batch of baits that had very few dimples by going back and brushing them out ,after about an hour on the drying wheel.

I'm still getting baits that feel like they have an oily film on them and the more you handle them the duller the finish gets.I measure with syringes in small amounts (1ml)I mix for three or four minutes

I don't know what im doing wrong .I looked at some past post and people were talking about how thin it was that it went on almost like water . Iv'e bought two different packages and they are both kind of thick almost like Devcon . Also does temperature have anything to do withit ,seems to be acting abot the same now that it is 80 as it did when it was 30. I am really trying to make this E-Tex work

for me,but it just so much more labor intensive,than devcon,and i am willing to do the work if i can figure what i'm doing wrong.

If you add a bit of D2T to the ETEX it will set faster and a bit harder. Etex is much cheaper than D2T so spiking it with D2T is a nice compromise.

The dimples are caused by one of two things, either you aren't putting it on thick enough or you are handling the lures after painting them.

Once you primer your lures, don't touch them with you bare hands. The oils on your hands will cause the dimpling you are referring to. I wear latex gloves after I prime the lures.

Use syringes to measure out the etex, mix it in a small dixie cup and make sure you get the edges and the bottom. Mix slowly for about two minutes. Brush the etex on making sure you get some of it everywhere. If you get too much on it will want to drip off, if you don't get enough on, it will leave dimples.

Etex is a wonderful coating and very easy to use..........you just have to get used to it.

One other thing, if you accidentally touch a lure after priming, clean it with rubbing alcohol on a clean paper towel before painting. The alcohol will clean off the oils from your fingers.

RM

Edited by RiverMan

The dimples are caused by one of two things, either you aren't putting it on thick enough or you are handling the lures after painting them.

Once you primer your lures, don't touch them with you bare hands. The oils on your hands will cause the dimpling you are referring to.

Use syringes to measure out the etex, mix it in a small dixie cup and make sure you get the edges and the bottom. Mix slowly for about two minutes. Brush the etex on making sure you get some of it everywhere. If you get too much on it will want to drip off, if you don't get enough on, it will leave dimples.

Etex is a wonderful coating and very easy to use..........you just have to get used to it.

One other thing, if you accidentally touch a lure after priming, clean it with rubbing alcohol on a clean paper towel before painting. The alcohol will clean off the oils from your fingers.

RM

+1 100% agree

Hi

Don't give up on etex, when it finally comes together for you you will appreciate it's qualities. I used to have all the problems you are having plus more. One thing I cannot see in your posts is what material are you using for the baits itself ? I had on occasions not dimples but craters ohmy.gif appearing, this was because wood is cellular and I was trying to speed things by turning to cure in a warm environment of around 80 degrees (a heated cabinet) this caused the air in the cells to expand and pop through the paint, yes, it came through the paint, I swear that is a true statement, this was cured with 100% sealing of the bare wood with propionate sealer. Again preparation is key here.

De-gasing the etex once it is on is no problem. Etex is a true epoxy coat and not an adhesive like D2T so is formulated to lend itself to what we are doing. I cant emphasize how important accurate mixing is, it must have the right amounts of resin and hardener and it must be thoroughly mixed, without these crucial elements it simply cannot cure properly and you will get the tacky finish you describe. The tacky finish can be removed by alcohol and a lint free cloth. With etex be patient, don't rush it and it will reward you with an unbelievable gloss coat, forget the lures for several days, leave them to cure and it will pay dividends in the long run.

Here is a little tip, when the coating has gelled and well into the curing stage, whilst on the turner, flash it with a hairdryer, this turns the etex soft and runny again but it then gels real quick, within 30 seconds, but the effect is to give it that glass smooth finish we all crave, do not overdo it only warm the etex not the bait.

Good luck I hope you get it sorted

philB