atrophius

Eye Screws

@ atrophius

The smaller , moderately cupped ones also act as bearing surfaces for the the props on baits with propellers on either or only one end , ........very important for that purpose !

But in my opinion with the durable modern topcoats and hooks easily rigged with splitrings nowadays these cup washers have begun to be of no use for just hook rigging anymore , at least not as much as in previous decades .

greetz , diemai :yay:

@ atrophius

The smaller , moderately cupped ones also act as bearing surfaces for the the props on baits with propellers on either or only one end , ........very important for that purpose !

But in my opinion with the durable modern topcoats and hooks easily rigged with splitrings nowadays these cup washers have begun to be of no use for just hook rigging anymore , at least not as much as in previous decades .

greetz , diemai :yay:

Ok, thanks guys, I swore I saw some of those cups on the eye screws, guess I dont have to worry about that then.

@ davedog

I extend the pilot hole to approx. double diameter(1,5mm pilot hole , 3,5mm extension dia.) at about 1/5 to 1/4 of eye screw shank length , ........when twisting in the eye screws , I'd apply some 5 min epoxy glue onto the threaded portion of the shank , .......this way a kinda glue plug evolves around the entry of the screw , wiping off excess glue immediately .

Not only for added strength , but also for advanced waterproofing the bait ,......... I mount the eyescrews before painting(should do it at least prior to topcoating) , though it means more work for me masking them when spray-painting .

Never had issues this way , even not with my PB 47" pike !

good luck , .....greetz , diemai :yay:

Hey guys, just a short question. I started buying eye screws to use on my baits, do I have to use those little cups under them? Not quite sure what they are actually for, but I am guessing so the eye doesnt pull open.

Hi,

I make wood lures professionally ( although I am retired from working....and I also do it for the fun or enjoyment....... as well as making a modest amount of money doing it )and I sell them mostly online.....

But I also have retirement income from Social Security and a little from a teaching pension.....so am not exactly making my living from making and selling fishing lures.

And I think that the little cups are mainly for cosmetic looks. They just make the lure look nicer and "more tidy". I don't think they have much a purpose other than that.

I use them on most all my lures on the front and the rear of the plug....in conjuction with a screw eye, as I just think it makes for a nicer, more professionally looking lure.

If you wanted to save a little you could perhaps just leave them off....and your lures would look and perform much the same as having used them.

Steve

Hi,

I make wood lures professionally ( although I am retired from working....and I also do it for the fun or enjoyment....... as well as making a modest amount of money doing it )and I sell them mostly online.....

But I also have retirement income from Social Security and a little from a teaching pension.....so am not exactly making my living from making and selling fishing lures.

And I think that the little cups are mainly for cosmetic looks. They just make the lure look nicer and "more tidy". I don't think they have much a purpose other than that.

I use them on most all my lures on the front and the rear of the plug....in conjuction with a screw eye, as I just think it makes for a nicer, more professionally looking lure.

If you wanted to save a little you could perhaps just leave them off....and your lures would look and perform much the same as having used them.

On my saltwater plugs I do not use screw eyes.....instead I use thru wire construction and I also use the two part epoxy in the hook sockets.

Steve

Edited by Stevenwxly