apharing

Gold Leaf

Hey guys, just wanted to share a new trick i figured out. My friend gave me a tube of "gold leaf" (its really just copper dust mixed with some sort of petroleum product). The way it works is you rub the paste into something, the oil evaporates, and it just leaves it coated in shiny copper. I made a couple lures with it, and it looks awesome. It is completely paintable, so I faded some black scale pattern onto the top of it and it looks like a golden shiner. I will add pictures in a little while. Im not sure where he got it, but a little research should turn up something. -alex

Hey guys, just wanted to share a new trick i figured out. My friend gave me a tube of "gold leaf" (its really just copper dust mixed with some sort of petroleum product). The way it works is you rub the paste into something, the oil evaporates, and it just leaves it coated in shiny copper. I made a couple lures with it, and it looks awesome. It is completely paintable, so I faded some black scale pattern onto the top of it and it looks like a golden shiner. I will add pictures in a little while. Im not sure where he got it, but a little research should turn up something. -alex

Is that the rub-n-buff stuff? i had not thoght about using that. A lot of people use it for costumes if it is what i think it is.

Kinda surprised this was the only leaf post I could find. I seen many post about using foil. I guess this is very similar. I picked up some leaf at a craft shop today. I had been wondering how it would work out for a while. All I have to say is Whoooo Touchy Stuff! Has anyone else messed with any type of leaf. It is so light I used a spray adhesive on the lure and just pressed it on. Pulled the plastic off and it seemed to look okay. I used my air compressor to blow any loose foil off the bait. I'll be playing with it some more since it came with six sheets. Seems to be promising.

86784178.jpg

17589674.jpg

Edited by Fishsticks

I got some of the silver leaf over the holidays and tried it out. Touchy stuff indeed! It was difficult to get it applied evenly on the bait and bunched up in a few spots, specifically around the eye holes. I was none too impressed with the results. I did try my first spray glitter and that worked out quite nicely, better than I expected. My only advice for that method is to do very light coats and let it dry. If you want it "super-glittery" I expect a dozen or so coats could be in order. For my purposes a single coat between the base coat and the details worked very well. Not sure what brand I used... some stuff the wife got for decorating pine cone wreaths. Hobby Lobby or Michael's brand, I assume.

I think that silver leaf is headed out of the shop and into the crafting bin.

What I used is a thin brass foil "imitation gold" that has been exposed to high heat to make different coloration patterns. It was $5.99 for six 5.5"x5.5" sheets. After looking online I found some sites selling for a good bit cheaper. I can cover 12 bass size baits with 6 sheets. Probably more if I was really care full. The package said to use a certain glue but I didn't see it so I improvised. They had several colors in patterns. The one I picked was called green variegated leaf. I checked it this morning and it looks okay, will be sure after my first clear.

Edited by Fishsticks

I tried silver leafing once. Here were my thoughts at the time.

"Picked up some silver leaf sheets at the art store-here is my first crank - about 2.75".

- it is super shiny and offers multiple facets for reflection

- in person it looks super cool (picture doesn't do it justice)

- it is not too bad to work with but if you are thinking you can put on single layer of silver leaf, forget it.

I used an old can of 3M super 77 adhesive and the adhesive was all bubbly. I sprayed directly on the basswood. Then I took a sheet (about 5"x5") and immediately realized how fragile it was. Just taking it out of the package tore it. I did my best (with clean hands) and put it on. After I got most of the lure covered I realized there were a few very small places (like 1 mm X 1 mm)that were missing the leaf so I just added more. I ended up using about 1/2 the sheet (the other 1/2 was destroyed in the process)and I'm sure there are places where it is probably 4-7 layers thick but the stuff is so thin I doesn't matter. I thinned some Etex lite with epoxy thinner and put it on with my Wiha micro screwdriver like I always do. Then I hung it vertically to dry. After drying the etex was mostly uniform but there were a few places where the epoxy was thicker. So I ended up sanding. Oops. (Note to self: next time when working with silver leaf, put on 2 epoxy layers before sanding or just be more careful). I sanded through the leaf on the rear right side and "partially through" a couple other places that aren't very noticeable. After cleaning I put another layer of epoxy on. One more coat and I'm calling it done. No paint on the top or bottom, just eyes. If you haven't tried it, it looks like a great fish-catching finish and looks super cool (3-d looking).

Has anyone else tried it? Any suggestions? I would use some new Super 77 (or other alternative) that doesn't bubble.

Also on the back side of the lip where it meets the wood, I couldn't get the flake to like up perfectly with the lip so I put a very thin strip of foil tape there(don't notice unless you're looking). The flake ended up lining up fairly flush with the lip in the front of the lip but not the back. "

Pics can be found here (I give up trying to post pics here).

http://www.ohiogamef...26&d=1281382707

p.s. SamBennett- I've tried the "dozen or so" (probably more)coats of spray glitter. I had issues of cracking (it added significant thickness). But nothing a layer of etex couldn't fix...

Edited by pizza

I like using leaf much more than foil, and you have all identified the major problem, delicate stuff. The leaf is much easier to handle if you wear cotton gloves. Make sure if you’re using spray glue you do not wear the glove when you spray. You are apt to get a little glue on them and the leaf will stick. When I foil my baits I apply spray glue to a piece of tissue paper (very light coat). I then open my packet of leaf which is arranged in pages and carefully press a page to the tissue paper and remove. The leaf will easily lift out of the book. The only cation is to make sure you don’t get any glue stuck on the additional pages of leaf.

I can store any extra in a note book. The leaf is far more stable when attacked to the paper. I apply my leaf to the bait, leaf side down. Then you add clear over the tissue paper, the paper will turn clear. I have recently tried experimenting with colored tissue paper with good results.

I have used gold and silver. I find the gold I have tints a little when cleared with D2T. The silver looks great.

Here is a pic of the same lure after the first coat of Etex. It's so shiny the camera had a hard time picking it up but the colors came out brilliant. I like working with the foil so far. It's faster and I can roll it around curves much easier then my regular foil. I do plan on painting the face and the belly so I will post the final pic in hard baits when I'm done.

35468115.jpg

Looks similar. It is the most fragile material i have ever come across. It is a challenge just to remove a piece from the package without ripping it. As i recall i had to breath lightly and not face the foil or the force of my breath would tear it.

Heres what i used, the silver leaf

http://www.unitednow.com/product/6107/mona-lisa-metal-leaf.aspx#25%20sheets,%20composition%20gold

Edited by pizza

The leaf I used comes between a sheet of plastic and light paper. The plastic sticks to the leaf, I guess from static. I couldn't imagine trying to apply the leaf by itself. After I spray the lure body with adhesive I tap a piece of leaf I cut out down the back of the lure. Then I just start to lightly tap the leaf down each side of the lure until I get to the belly. After that It's just taping around the curves to make the leaf stick to whatever I want. Pull the plastic off and blow on any excess leaf hanging off the lure. Any leaf that has not come in contact with adhesive turns to dust when you blow on it. I cleared 2 more lures last night and they came out great.

Not sure if this is where I should post this or not, but for those of you who are foiling with aluminum tape, here's a neat trick for shad raps if it hasn't already been done. Wrap and burnish the bait (time consuming and not very fun). Next, take a piece of Active Wire Mesh (Hobby Lobby) and lay across the bait. Now, using a small craft roller, work from head to tail following the contour of the bait. Be careful to keep the mesh isolated once you begin to maintain the uniformity of the pattern. This process allows you to achieve a somewhat 3D look. Add your favorite transparent colors and see what you think. I will try to post a few pics of one in the gallery. One final note: aluminum tape serves a dual purpose on a shad rap by adding some much needed weight for my uses.

I have only posted one reply in the past, but the leaf post grab me. I have normally been a seeker of information and will say

everyone who contributes here is awesome. The info is outstanding.

I made a few leaf baits awhile back and really enjoyed the process , something different to do. As with a lot of ventures, there was a small learning curve.

Check it out ..

http://ricksmuskybai...f-finishes.html

Edited by rds

I have only posted one reply in the past, but the leaf post grab me. I have normally been a seeker of information and will say

everyone who contributes here is awesome. The info is outstanding.

I made a few leaf baits awhile back and really enjoyed the process , something different to do. As with a lot of ventures, there was a small learning curve.

Check it out ..

http://ricksmuskybai...f-finishes.html

That sure sounds like a tedious, painstaking process, but, looks like you've mastered it. Those baits look great. I'm sure your info will help others that are interested.

I have just started playing around with foil, silver leaf and the foil paper in cigarette packets that I put in water for about 15 seconds and rub the paper off the back, dry and use the foil. (all experimental at this stage )

Just wondering after the foiling / leaf or rub on do you guys use an epoxy to seal it then paint acrylic on top of that?

Does the acrylic stick to the epoxy?

Thanks

Tony

Thanks for that, will try.

Lots of "product" flying around the site Etrex ??? (a GPS systen down here :)) and D2T sounds like a defoliant used in the vietnam war or something used for spraying Blackberries

All good, I have been sealing with a rod binding epoxy working well so far.

Thanks again

Edited by Mordy