TLane4

Another Scale Question

Hello All,

I am new to the whole painting lures and am having a small problem. As simple as it seems I can't get the material I am using to make my scale pattern stay still on the lure. I have tried tying it together with fishing line while pulling it tight. I have also tried using split shot to weigh it down and drape it over the top. Both methods have worked to an extent but move around and can be very time consuming to set up. My next thought is to use binder clips and use them as both a weight and to draw it tight against the lure or possibly making little frames to somehow encase the lure.

Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated.

Hello All,

I am new to the whole painting lures and am having a small problem. As simple as it seems I can't get the material I am using to make my scale pattern stay still on the lure. I have tried tying it together with fishing line while pulling it tight. I have also tried using split shot to weigh it down and drape it over the top. Both methods have worked to an extent but move around and can be very time consuming to set up. My next thought is to use binder clips and use them as both a weight and to draw it tight against the lure or possibly making little frames to somehow encase the lure.

Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated.

Some people use frames,but I find it easier to just get small clips from Home Depot. They sell all sizes off it. I can adjust and use from 1 to 3-4 on the material. Only problem i see with using frames is getting the top end of the bait. The clips at home depot are like 50 cents and near the big wood clamps and stuff. So something cheap to try out if ya want.

Like you, I had trouble when first starting to paint scale patterns. Two things I've found that helped me are as follows. First is the type of material being used for making the scale pattern. A lot of folks use bridal veil material and have good results with it. For me it was a little on the stiff side and didn't hold up to heat setting after each color application. What I found that works for me was the net backing on a dishwashing sponge. Similar to the bug washing sponges you see at auto supplies, K-mart, Wally World and etc. for washing bugs off your car. It's soft, strong and holds up to heat setting water-based paints. It can also be cleaned by soaking it in airbrush restorer without any harm to the netting. The second thing that helped me with my scale patterns is the manner in which I hold the material on the bait while painting. There are also many different ways to do this, but this works well for me. I wrap the netting over the bait and pull it together at the bottom. I then place a popsicle stick or tongue depressor on each side of the netting and clamp it with small paper binding clamps or clothes pins. You can then pull the netting tight between the sticks by releasing one end at a time and tugging on the netting until you get it positioned to your liking. Doing it this way also allows painting all areas of the bait except the very bottom where you don't normally see scale patterns anyway. In my experience the netting needs to be pulled snugly against the bait so the paint doesn't get under the netting and spoil the effect your trying to achieve. It also helps to spray thin, light coats to keep from building up large amounts of wet paint which then tries to creep under the netting. Hope this helps.

Edited by RayburnGuy