rotorhead

Pvc Lure Bodies

I read where PVC is being used as a material for lure bodies. Could someone describe the material, where to find it and perhaps how to work with it. The only PVC I am familar with is the type used in pipes and i don't think it would work as a lure body. I have been using cedar, basswood and balsa and am always looking for something new.

Thanks

Rotorhead

Just curious: has anybody has done any research as to whether sanding or grinding PVC produces enough heat to release dioxin? I know burning PVC will release it. It might be wise to find out how much heat it takes to produce the stuff; the only substance more toxic than dioxin is radioactive waste. It's nothing to fool around with.

I read where PVC is being used as a material for lure bodies. Could someone describe the material, where to find it and perhaps how to work with it. The only PVC I am familar with is the type used in pipes and i don't think it would work as a lure body. I have been using cedar, basswood and balsa and am always looking for something new.

Thanks

Rotorhead

some people use pvc trim boards , you can find them at home improvement centers, also theres a product called seaboard it comes in sheets, 1/2,3/4, and 1''

marine lumber is another brand, you work with it just like wood, sand ,drill,saw etc.

i hope this helps

ktg

Thanks

Rotorhead

Rot Free 1 x 3-1/2 x 10 PVC Smooth/Textured Trim Board from Lowes is what I use.

I use AZEK decking, 1"X 5 1/2". It's very buoyant, strong, and works like wood. You have to be careful not to heat it too much when you machine it, or it starts to melt and get sticky.

I don't know anything about Dioxin release. I hope it's not a problem, but I wear a dust mask when I machine it because the dust is fine, and messes up my sinuses.

Edited by mark poulson