Big Bass Man

Dimples In Clearcoat

contaminants on the baits surface like oils from fingerprints will cause this. its called a fisheye. easy solution: don't touch the bait with your bare hands.

After I sand the lure, I then wipe it down with alcohol before painting. Is it better to wash it with soap and water before painting?

I like soap and water, but whatever is causing the fish eyes is sitting on top of your paint, not under it. Another thing you may try is adding a few drops of denatured alcohol to your epoxy after it is mixed up. It will thin the epoxy a little, extend the brush time, and still allows Devcon to cure hard to the touch in 5-6 hrs.

I like soap and water, but whatever is causing the fish eyes is sitting on top of your paint, not under it. Another thing you may try is adding a few drops of denatured alcohol to your epoxy after it is mixed up. It will thin the epoxy a little, extend the brush time, and still allows Devcon to cure hard to the touch in 5-6 hrs.

Thanks Guys !

I will make sure not to touch them after paint is on. It did the fisheye on a reel I painted, I painted three reels before this one and had no issues with them. I am pretty sure I handled the reel parts with my hands before painting. Is the denatured alcohol usually located around rubbing alcohol in stores?

What is the best method for removing the epoxy from the reel, so I can redo it?

I am using devcon 30 min epoxy as a clearcoat and sometimes after it has hardened it will have dimples in the clear. Anyone have an idea what causes this?

Make sure you avoid anythig with silicone in working with painting or epoxy. Don't use syringes from most sources as they use silicone as a lubricant, use only those meant for the puropose. You can get them from rod building supply sites. The list can go on and on as to what might contaminate a surface.

The dimples are caused by one of two things, either you aren't putting the devcon on heavy enough or you are contaminating it with your fingers.

After you prime the lure, don't touch it with your bare hands.....I wear latex gloves. If you do accidentally touch it, clean it with a new paper towel and rubbing alcohol.

It took me months to figure this out years ago.......used to drive me crazy!

RM