jnurn

New At Jig Making

I am woundering where I can get lead cheap. I have heard some people use old wheel weights but I have also heard that it is hard to get good finished jigs because it has other things in the lead. I think I could have a good supply of lead if I used wheel weights. if I can't use wheel weights where is a good spot to get lead.

The other question I have is about fluxing lead. How important is it and what's the easiest way to do it I'm getting that you heat the lead up and then just throw some wax in it and skim the junk off of the top, is there more to it or is that about it.

I am woundering where I can get lead cheap. I have heard some people use old wheel weights but I have also heard that it is hard to get good finished jigs because it has other things in the lead. I think I could have a good supply of lead if I used wheel weights. if I can't use wheel weights where is a good spot to get lead.

The other question I have is about fluxing lead. How important is it and what's the easiest way to do it I'm getting that you heat the lead up and then just throw some wax in it and skim the junk off of the top, is there more to it or is that about it.

Wheel weights work fine for SOME jigs.

Fluxing is extremely important if you are using wheel weights. You have to get that crap out of the lead some how.

Check out the "wire baits" forum for more info on lead melting.

I use wheel weights almost exclusivley... I melt in an old pot OUTSIDE on a portable electric little stove. then i take a long metal spoon and scoop off all the crud on top. then i pour into bricks. I use a muffin tin for the bricks and only pour a 1/4 or so up... they slide right into a lee melting pot that way.

Cheers

Matt