dmorrow

Stainles Steel Wire And Drilling Computer Board Lips

I use a Dremel with a set of steel sub-millimeter bits to drill polycarbonate and circuit board. I like a good friction fit for the wire and small bits are the ticket. I get them at: http://www.sciplus.com/ I use .040" Malin soft temper stainless "safety wire" on average to large balsa baits, from McMaster-Carr. It comes in 1/4 lb spools.

I use a Dremel with a set of steel sub-millimeter bits to drill polycarbonate and circuit board. I like a good friction fit for the wire and small bits are the ticket. I get them at: http://www.sciplus.com/ I use .040" Malin soft temper stainless "safety wire" on average to large balsa baits, from McMaster-Carr. It comes in 1/4 lb spools.

What about brass wire?

Soft temper brass works fine, the choice of brass or stainless is mostly esthetic - I prefer stainless because it matches the rest of the hardware on the bait. I use the same .040" dia brass as stainless steel. Soft temper stainless is a little harder than brass - but either is much easier to work with than hard temper wire. When you first work with soft temper wire, it seems soft and easy to bend. However, when formed into a small diameter circle for a line tie or hook hanger, it is quite strong and hard to deform. If I were making baits for pike, musky or saltwater, I'd have to think twice about using soft temper wire but for bass, it's a no-brainer.