CMARTIN269

Airbrush Troubles?

Ithink I know the answer but I will ask anyway.When I spray, the spray pattern shoots off to one side or the other.I'VE Cleaned it,no change .It's a new needle and tip,and was working fine on the first bait but on the second it started doing it.Am I going to have to buy another needle or is there something I'm missing?

If it worked OK on the first bait, my first thought would be a paint clog. Sometimes they can be a little difficult to remove. Remove the needle and shoot some clean water through the brush at max psi. Then hold your finger over the tip of the brush while triggering it to backwash the brush - that is often a quick fix. If that doesn't work, pour a little solvent like acetone or lacquer thinner in the brush and work the needle in/out until the clog is dissolved, then rinse with water. Careful with the needle - you can damage the nozzle on the brush if you hit it too hard with the needle. BTW, if you are using an a/b with a small tip (.3 mm or smaller) don't try using hobby paints (i.e., brands not formulated for airbrushing, like Apple Barrel, etc). It will just be Clog City.

Edited by BobP

Once you get your brush good and clean it is much easier to keep it clean than going through problems like your having now. It might be overkill, but since I started running acetone through my brush every few color changes while I'm painting most of my airbrush problems have disappeared. Just pour the acetone in the airbrush bowl and backflush as described by BobP.

I also started straining my paint before shooting it. A tip the Lure Professor gave me is quick and easy and has also made clogging problems all but disappear. Cut small squares (about 1 inch) from a woman's stockings. Then unscrew the cap from your bottle of paint and place the stocking square over the neck. Then screw the cap back on over the square. You can then use the flip top on the cap to dispense the strained paint. Doing it this way is much better than trying to strain paint through one of those funnel type strainers that you end up getting paint everywhere with.

Another thing that helps me keep my brush clean is to soak it in Createx Airbrush Restorer about once a month. The airbrush restorer will dissolve any dried paint that normal cleaning missed. The way I do this is to fill a small jar with the restorer and just stick the front end of the brush into it. I put my brush into the brush holder that holds it when I'm not painting and just tip it forward into the jar filled with the restorer and let it soak overnight. Then I pull it out and clean it as I normally would to get out any dissolved paint as well as the restorer.

I learned the hard way that keeping your brush and paint clean and free of clogs before they happen is much easier than the alternative. If you will develop a cleaning routine that works for you it will become second nature and you won't even have to think about it.