Greeno

Musky Spinners

I have a question about spinners....I make 1 1/2oz, 2oz, and 2 1/2oz musky spinners.......the wire that I use for that is .041.....does anything think that is large enough wire for them or should I be using .062?? Any info on this would help....i just dont want them to be to weak for big muskies!!!

Thanks

Hi Greeno,

First, Welcome to TU!

It seems, you are using Do-It mold, model Style H Spinner Jig SJ-3H-X. If yes, you need to modify the mold a little to accept 0.51 or 0.62 ( your choice), since 0.41 is too weak for musky size spinnerbaits and you probably want to use bigger then 5/0 hooks. There was great post by Glaukus couple years ago how to modify this mold with pictures, but I'm unable to find it now for some reason.

Edited by psv

@ Greeno

Welcome at TU !

If I roughly calculate your measurements into metric(I'm in Europe), I think , that .041 wire is too thin , either for targetting big muskie and also in terms of the intended weight of your bucktails .

I've ben making a lot of spinners during the first years of my lure making carreer , and I've found , that wire shafts too thin for a spinners size and weight would constantly bend or kink under the tension of powerful casts and fighting fish .

It's not that even such thinner wire would not hold up to the fish well , but the constant re-tuning of kinked wire shafts is a nuisance . So you'd better go for at least the .062 dia. which is roughly about 1,5 mm ,...... should be OK like that .

good luck , diemai :yay: