luke1wcu

Applying Brite-bak Tape

Can anyone give me some pointers on avoiding creases and folds when applying this tape. I'm thinking that I may need to make some cuts in it to get it to lay flat around odd-shaped edges. I tried burnishing some of this out but it didn't seem to help all that much. My first test subject with this tape is an old Cordell Rattlin' Spot. That should be a good basic lure shape to get used to using this foil tape, right? I just hate to keep wasting it, as much as it costs. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Luke

Luke, I'm not sure there are any tricks with Brite-Bak. I trace around the lure on a piece of tape and cut out the pattern. That lets you register the tape at the nose and tail when you begin to stick it on (and it doesn't waste tape). I begin smoothing at the center of the tape and gradually smooth it down to the shoulders and belly of the lure. It's easier if the lure has flat sides, harder if the bait is more rounded. A rounded spherical surface will eventually necessitate creases, so don't try to wrap the entire lure. Just tape from the shoulders to the beginning of the belly, then paint the back and belly. I burnish down the edges with a plastic stick and the Brite-bak is thin enough that a coat of paint hides the margins pretty well. I use Qtips moistened with denatured alcohol to clean off the paint overspray and keep the tape shiny. If the 2 sides don't match coverage, you can use a single edged razor blade to score the tape and peel off strips to even them up. I use the little knurled knob from a Vise Grip pliers to do scale texture on the tape. Just unscrew it from the pliers and run it over the surface. Knurled knobs from various tools will also work.

Thanks Bob! That is exactly what I needed to know. My problem was that I was trying to wrap the whole lure with one big piece of tape.

I just tried again on that Cordell Spot and it went on perfectly! I can't believe I didn't think of that before. I guess I was making it more difficult than it really was. Thanks again Bob.