silverdoctor

Bandits

Can anyone explain the manufacturing/performance differences in Bandit cranks over time? I've heard a lot differing comments on this; like the old baits have a better action and different rattle than new baits. How old is old? How many different stages has the bait gone through? Just curious; thanks in advance if can help. I'm mostly interested in the 200 version.

ken

Wish I could give more specifics about your question, but all I can add is that I have a friend who swears that the Chrome/Blue Back or any of the chrome painted Bandits that have the lip painted chrome have much better action than the newer Bandits that don't have the chrome paint on the bill. They are older models but not sure how much older...

Every time a lure company moves manufacturing you read how the old lures worked great but the new ones are junk. Nowadays, the manufacturing move is often in the direction of Mexico or China. Maybe there's a lag in quality as the new plant gets up to speed. Maybe not. Maybe they changed the molds (like the old Wiggle Warts). Maybe not. Plastic bait injection molds wear out over time and have to be replaced regardless of where the manufacture takes place. I think the criticism of new models is often a case of guys hating change of any kind. Or they dote on one color pattern that is no longer available. In the specific case of Bandit, take a look at the recent review of the Bandit 300 done by Tackle Tour. TT or any other user is just another opinion but they rated them pretty highly.

Thanks Guys! Bob, I guess the anecdotal stuff applies to most if not all baits that have been around a long time. You mentioned warts for example. All I know is that some really serious fishermen get really picky on this issue and are willing to spend some bucks to get the vintage versions of bandits (among others). When you ask about the details, sometimes its the real info and sometimes "knot." I was hopin' to learn more about the details of the bandit process changes.

ken

I'm not a Bandit afficionado but a friend is a Wiggle Wart nut and searches high and low for 'old original mold' Warts - for which he will shell out almost any amount of $$$. The old Warts had "questionable quality control" that resulted in some Warts that would "hunt" and perform "on the edge". Others were un-tunable and worthless. Nice if you get one that works right. He gave me a couple to repaint/keep and asked me if they turned out to be "special ones". I told him they were fish catching machines :rolleyes: and I'd never let them go under any circumstance. He's still grumpy about it. It's good to exploit a friend's neurosis.

I would say there has been a minimum of two changes. The first thing I noticed around 200-2001 they changed some of the colors. While they were still called the same color, they definitely were not. The old Rootbeer (pre 2001) was killer, the new is blah just flat outright doesn't cathch as many fish.

Now if I loose a Bandit, I most likely don't replace it unless it is one I custom painted for a local lake, and chances are I just use an old one and paint it up.

I think the older Bandit crankbaits were put together in Sardis MS. I know that I can look at one of them and tell the difference. A lot of people(me included) bought up some of the older bandits and simply won't buy the newer ones. I still have places I can get the older baits and pick up a few along. The older baits have "made in Sardis MS" on the package and the triple grip hooks. Also the seam where they are put together isn't as smoothe as the newer baits and most of the time the paint just looks different.