RayburnGuy

Possible Problem With Scale Material?

Painted a bait this morning using the same exact procedures and using the same exact materials as I do with every bait. Everything went well. No fish eyes or other deformities in any of the coats. Thoroughly dried each coat as it was applied. The only thing I did different was that I used a new piece of netting straight out of the package to apply the scales. When I dipped the lure in DN it immediately started wrinkling. And pretty bad. I didn't touch the bait while painting so it couldn't be oil from my hands. The only thing I didn't do was wash the netting before using it, but I've never done that and haven't had any problems before. Has anyone ever had a problem with the netting causing something like this? I'm stumped!!

Ben

It was all Createx except for the vertical bars which were Auto Air. I've been using Createx almost exclusively for over a year now and have never had this problem with DN. The only time I've had the paint wrinkle was when I tried using a rattle can white primer on a bait which was coated with DN. The solvents in the DN and the solvents in the rattle can paint didn't react well together, but I've not had any trouble with Createx and DN.

In the spirit of TU, you are going to have to do a test. Washed netting on one half, unwashed on the other. If proven that the problem was the netting, then we all win in the knowledge game.

Dave

Ben - Did you add any thinners to the D/N, if you thin it too much it (extra thinners) could be attacking the paint, or conversely the D/N maybe too thick and is not 'gassing off' as quickly as usual (this has happened to me:unsure:) - OR was it cold, this may also slow things down allowing it more time to attack the paint - just a few more things to think about:lol:.

Pete

Ben - Did you add any thinners to the D/N, if you thin it too much it (extra thinners) could be attacking the paint, or conversely the D/N maybe too thick and is not 'gassing off' as quickly as usual (this has happened to me:unsure:) - OR was it cold, this may also slow things down allowing it more time to attack the paint - just a few more things to think about:lol:.

Pete

No Pete, didn't add any thinners or anything and the temp was within a couple degrees of what it always is. (painting inside the house) The DN didn't seem like it was any thicker than normal and the wrinkling began immediately so I wouldn't think it was a problem with the gassing off.

I'm going to try another piece of the same scale material and see if it does the same thing. Other than that I don't know what it could be.

thanks for the input,

Ben

In the spirit of TU, you are going to have to do a test. Washed netting on one half, unwashed on the other. If proven that the problem was the netting, then we all win in the knowledge game.

Dave

I'll give it another try with some of the same netting and see what happens. Will have to paint one bait with the netting unwashed and one with it washed because I wrap the netting around the bait and pin it with popsicle sticks and binder clips and it would be hard to wash just one half. I'll let ya'll know how things turn out.

thanks,

Ben

I'll give it another try with some of the same netting and see what happens. Will have to paint one bait with the netting unwashed and one with it washed because I wrap the netting around the bait and pin it with popsicle sticks and binder clips and it would be hard to wash just one half. I'll let ya'll know how things turn out.

thanks,

Ben

I never wash the netting before I use it and never have any problems. I have however had to deal with the wrinkling with DN. Not sure why but sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. Now I always clear with Createx clear gloss first, heat set then dip and never have a problem.

Painted another lure today using the same piece of netting that was in question. Used the exact same paints, procedures and top coat as before. The only difference is I washed the netting this time. There were no problems whatsoever this time. I'm still not 100% sure that the netting is what caused the problem in the first place because it seems like had there been some type of contaminant on the netting it would have effected the paint job (fish eyes, etc.) before it was ever dipped in DN. May never know for sure exactly what happened. I will be washing my netting before using it from now on though.

Ben

BEN DID YOU ASK THE LURE PROFESSOR?

More than likely Dean will ask you if you heat set your paint really good...

It is kinda strange.. CALL DEAN!

No Matt, haven't talked to Dean. Heat setting is one thing I have no doubt about. I don't know what happened. I always make sure I don't touch the bait with my bare hands or anything like that. The thing that stumps me is if there were contaminants on the netting it seems like it would have effected the paint job long before I applied the DN, but after washing the same piece of netting and painting another bait with it everything went fine. Dammifino

thanks for taking a look,

Ben

There's probably some flame retardant, or some other chemical the manuf. puts on the material. Maybe it's left over oil from the manuf. process itself.

Lots of possiblilities, or suspects.

If washing takes it off, great.

I wish all bait making problems were so easily solved.

Edited by mark poulson

Painted a bait this morning using the same exact procedures and using the same exact materials as I do with every bait. Everything went well. No fish eyes or other deformities in any of the coats. Thoroughly dried each coat as it was applied. The only thing I did different was that I used a new piece of netting straight out of the package to apply the scales. When I dipped the lure in DN it immediately started wrinkling. And pretty bad. I didn't touch the bait while painting so it couldn't be oil from my hands. The only thing I didn't do was wash the netting before using it, but I've never done that and haven't had any problems before. Has anyone ever had a problem with the netting causing something like this? I'm stumped!!

BenI have this problem often when using DN. I caused me to stop using it. I use Createx exclusively and I agree that it doesn't go well with DN. I switched to a automotive clearcoat and couldn't be happier with it.

@ Mark.......I'm not sure I'll ever know for sure exactly what happened Mark, but if posting this saves anybody some trouble then it will have been worth it. It only takes a few seconds to wash the netting and it sure beats having to repaint a bait.

@Bruce.........This is the only time I've had this problem when using DN over Createx and I've been using the two together for about a year now. I haven't considered using automotive clears because all of the nasty stuff associated with them. And I paint inside the house so that brings up a whole new set of problems. I have nothing against the automotive clears and believe they give some really amazing finishes, but I just don't want to go to the trouble of setting up a whole new system.