floydfire

First Good Paint Job For Me.

Nice shading and your scale pattern looks good. I didn't even try the scale pattern until I'd been painting for a while. Pretty nice for your first bait. :yay:

Thanks.....Well not the first just the first I would show other than to the family I worked on this bait for 3-4 days off and on had a really hard time with those scales. I did paint a few last week I was really proud of but when I mixed some automotive clear and sprayed on them it was way to thick and they blistered I could have cried. just learned to airbrush over the last few weeks I'm proud of the improvements I've made in that short amount of time. I got some really cool ideas if I can get them on a bait. thanks for the post and comments.

I fully understand the frustration that can come from painting baits. Especially one that you've done a great paint job on only to have the clear coat screw up. The thing is not to get too upset and give up. Sometimes you have to walk away from something for a while and come back to it when you've calmed down. Believe me, I know. I've thrown some oilfield fits that terrified everybody around me. Just keep working at it and practicing and it will come to you. You will eventually work out a system of doing things and it will become second nature. You won't even have to think about it.

hang in there,

Ben

Update...... Fished a local pot tourament Thursday afternoon with this lure caught 1 nice keeper and hooked up again but fish came off Kinda like a proud papa it worked and the crank bait bite still not real good right now here in North Georgia. But things are looking up did a few more yesterday but no pictures yet waiting on some new eyes will post soon thanks for the good comments,

I have to say ya'll guys are very talented in this art form I look at the gallery almost everyday to find new ideas if I can only do some of the stuff that ya'll do I'll be pleased and ya'll are very helpful to the newbies some of these baits will make my catch ratio go up I'm sure I want to try the foil and photofinish next those are wicked cant wait to try them thanks for the input.

I have to say ya'll guys are very talented in this art form I look at the gallery almost everyday to find new ideas if I can only do some of the stuff that ya'll do I'll be pleased and ya'll are very helpful to the newbies some of these baits will make my catch ratio go up I'm sure I want to try the foil and photofinish next those are wicked cant wait to try them thanks for the input.

I am extremely impressed and want to get started in this. .. .How did you get started? Book? Can you make any suggestions for how I can get started? Thanks.

No need to buy a book. There's more information in the archives here at TU than you can wrap your mind around. A good way to get started is to figure out what you want to do (airbrushing baits, pouring soft plastics, carving your own lures, etc. ) and then start doing some research using the search feature located at the top right of every page. Another source of good information is the tutorial section. There you will find step by step instructions on many of the different aspects of lure building. A lot of them have pictures included with the instructions to make it easier to understand. When there are things you don't understand or questions you can't find answers for then post your question in the proper forum and there will be members who will do their best to help you. You've just received a gentle push in the right direction. The rest is up to you.

good luck,

Ben

I am extremely impressed and want to get started in this. .. .How did you get started? Book? Can you make any suggestions for how I can get started? Thanks.

I just stumbled on this site and a few others I started by just painting some of my old baits I found a cheap airbrush gun and started with model car paint. It did not hold up good with the clear I was using I got a rattle can clear at first caught a few fish in one that I painted but the paint chipped off and a buddy of mine had a better airbrush and he wanted to paint some so we used his stuff for a while then I got a better airbrush gun again so now Ive got 4 guns still not the one I want but thats a money issue but we are getting better stuff all the time. There are some really good places to buy clear blanks and these forums help a ton and almost anyone will help you or point you in the right direction they have all done the hard part and most of the the ways work very well you just have to do some trial and error but like I said they have done a lot of the hard stuff already so it makes it easy for the me. You can drop me a line anytime I'll try to help what I can but I'm still learning too.