airbrushextreme

Shad Rap Style Bait With Circuit Board Lip

does anyone know where I might be able to find a balsa shad rap style bait with a circuit board lip? I bought a couple of Mimic lures thumper shads and they work great they are an exact body shape replica of the shad rap but the circuit board has a total different action I have contacted Mimic and David Walker both but havent recieved anything back. Can anyone on here help me please???

Not sure exactly what you're looking for but there are not many online sources for wood crankbait bodies. I'd check jannsnetcraft.com, lurepartsonline.com, and lurehardware.com. IMO, Mimic flat siders seem to be similar to Flatshad crankbaits and not Rapala Shad Raps in design. If you find a source, you'll still have to drill and install ballast and hook hangers, and probably cut the lip slot too. Since flat sided bodies are the easiest to cut and shape, most of us "roll our own" from scratch.

The only one I have seen in that style is the Mimic. It is supposed to be 3/8 oz. and easier to cast than a shad rap. I have one, but have not thrown it yet.

Good luck getting Kelly to respond to email. I'm not sure what is going on at Mimic, as they have never responded to email. He may have had to get a regular job when the economy went sour.

Edited by Mags

the strike king and the Mimic bait are one in the same both designed by Sonny McFarland from the greater knoxville area in Tennessee I use both and in a years time I go through several baits whether its the thru wire pulled out of them or the lips breaking or coming out of the bait or just wear and tear on the balsa they get pretty beat up. this is one of my tournament baits I always have tied on whether its the standard one or a modified one with a DOA crimp weight on the lip I have just became a fan of them I ordered 100 of them 3 years ago from kelly just primed and am now down to about 12 or so and I am starting to get paranoid about even using them unless money is on the line thats all

"the strike king and the Mimic bait are one in the same both designed by Sonny McFarland from the greater knoxville area in Tennessee I use both and in a years time I go through several baits whether its the thru wire pulled out of them or the lips breaking or coming out of the bait or just wear and tear on the balsa they get pretty beat up. this is one of my tournament baits I always have tied on whether its the standard one or a modified one with a DOA crimp weight on the lip I have just became a fan of them I ordered 100 of them 3 years ago from kelly just primed and am now down to about 12 or so and I am starting to get paranoid about even using them unless money is on the line thats all"

Bro, I think you have the details of your story mixed up a bit. Sonny McFarland is the owner and designer behind the "Flat Shad" line of baits. He has never been associated with the Stooksbury boys at Mimic Lures. The Mimic lure boys made a copy of a Shad Rap and threw in a circuit board lipThey marketed this bait to Strike King and began selling that bait and their other bait "Flat Shad" thru Strike King's Custom Shop. There is only one Flat Shad and the design and the name belong to Mr. McFarland

I have pulled them out before to replace them with circuit board all I do is start wiggling the lip back and forth and it will eventually break free there is a round pin that helps hold the bill in place I have taken the circuit board lip and epoxied a 1" piece of dowel with a groove sawed in it and replaced it with that I use gorilla glue to re glue the lip so the foam replaces the void. it just takes too much time to do this so I just buy them wholesale from Mimic Lures and paint them myself