LETerDIG

Newbie- Kind Of Paint

Hey guys,

I have been bass fishing for year and about 6 months ago, after a day of sickening, box piled full of over i would say 50+ DD crankbaits was left on back deck blew out. i decided i would start painting my own( all of my chipped ones in garage) any ways, i bought an iwata hp-cs. i havent had a whole lot of luck finding paint. i have bought most of my paint from barlows and its all VINYL. i spend a fortune in there thinner. and am still wasting a bunch of money getting my mixes right for new colors. i was wondering what kinds of paint you guys use and if you could give me a link as to where you buy it. is there anywhere you can buy it pre-thinned to just pour and spray. hoping i can find a site with a variety of colors. also what size needle do you guys use mostly?.35mm .5mm or ?? thanks guys..

any info sure would be appreciated.. hopefully i can get some pics up soon of some of the crank's and jerks ive painted as well as some jigs and EWG shakey heads and spinnerbaits.

Edited by jcupp

Welcome!

Try createx airbrush paint from Chicago Airbrush Supply. They have a wide selection of colors for a good price. Createx is water-based so clean-up doesn't require any special thinners, and you don't need to wear a respirator while you're painting.

I use a .3mm needle in my brush. That's what it came with, and I haven't found a reason to get a larger or smaller needle yet.

I hope this helps. I'm looking forward to seeing your finished baits. cool.gif

Ben

I agree w/ fish whittler. I started painting my unused cranks (100's of them) because they didn't catch fish. I started using Createx paint. The only problem

is you have to then cover it w/ a urethane.

I've bought hundreds of dollars of createx w/ superb results. Even painted some stuff on the kids shirts.

I did have a battle trying to determine which urethane to use. I finally settled on Dick Nights urethane. His stuff hardens rock hard and chip resistent.

Even though the cure process takes 5-7 days, I used my baits (walleye fishing) 2 days after applying the urethane.

Hope this helps.

David

thanks ben, i actually have some createx that i bought from hobby lobby, but havent tried it, it said to thin with a certain base..

i will be sure to get on the website and check it out!

thanks,

Cupp

One thing I will add about using Createx is that it needs to be heat set. Createx is actually a t-shirt paint and needs to be heat set to make it waterproof. It has something to do with the paint structure on a molecular level. Heat setting Createx can be done with a hair dryer and is not a big deal. Type in "heat setting" in the search feature and you can find everything you need to know. You can also find Createx and many other types of paint at the sites below.

tcpglobal.com

coastairbrush.com

good luck and welcome to TU,

Ben

I use createx wicked colors and auto air 90% of the time I also use some golden acrylics and regular createx the auto air lays down so much better amd doesnt leave splatter specks at all the paint isnt any more expensive and I can make it last twice as long as the same amount of regular createx and it cleans up with water or airbrush cleaner the auto air colors are also much brighter and blend better than other types of paint I have even painted some spro and snagproof frogs with it with great success