macstackleman

Info On Purchasing Supplies

The Dick Nite topcoat can only be ordered from Dick Nite, who often runs a banner ad at the top of this page. You can click on his banner and be taken to a special page on his website to order topcoat at a substantial discount provided to TU members. Be advised that the topcoat is not available right now (or last I heard anyway) due to supplier problems. Dick is having a new topcoat formulated, which will eventually be available via his website.

Devcon Two Ton epoxy became popular among builders partly because it was sold at most Walmart stores. They no longer carry it, but some ACE hardware stores do (or can order it). You can also buy it online. I buy 9 oz epoxy sets (4.5 oz bottles of resin and hardener) from: http://www.texaswoodcarvers.com/

There are other online sources I haven't tried because the prices seem pretty uniform and I've gotten good service from Old Texas Woodcarvers.

Several epoxy brands are popular among crankbait builders and there are other brands of moisture cured urethane available. Topcoats are the most discussed topic on this forum, so if you do a search on them you will find hundreds of related threads.

Devcon is available from Tower Hobbies. I would get some Environtex Lite. Michael's carries it and there is usually a 40 percent off coupon available in local papers or online.

Thanks for the feedback.

One more question, is the topcoat to protect the balsa wood? For I am building baits from foam. I know the topcoat also protects paint job but was wondering if protecting the wood is the issue. Minwax polycrylic puts nice finish on baits but not hard like your topcoats.

Thanks again

Thanks for the feedback.

One more question, is the topcoat to protect the balsa wood? For I am building baits from foam. I know the topcoat also protects paint job but was wondering if protecting the wood is the issue. Minwax polycrylic puts nice finish on baits but not hard like your topcoats.

Thanks again

I use a good top coat on everything. The build you get from an epoxy makes the lure paint really stand out. There are volumes of info on different types of top coats. Chances are someone on here has tried just about everything.