Seeking 56

Sealers Revisited Again And Again

Hey fellows,

After doing a thorough read on previous years sealer posts, is there a general consensus on your sealing experiences? Like, what product not to use for sealing bare wood prior to priming? For those who tried something new, any regrets?

I'm using acrylic primer to seal but would like to try something else. Some pm'd me to use a sanding sealer but it's hard to find. It seems to some people i've grown 2 heads LoL!

Would like to seal with e-tex, but find it a little too expensive to use as a sealer when it can be used as a clearcoat.

I've started experimenting with Titebond III waterproof wood glue. So far, this stuff cured rock hard.

Your thoughts?

Thanks

s54

I use Etex. My only complaint is time. It takes two coats for me to get all the grain taken care of and it's hard to keep the bubbles out of the first coat so I sand and coat again and that one is usually perfect. It's just like a 16 hour process because it takes so long to get it to where you can sand it without it gumming up. I hadn't thought of something like titebond. I would think that that would be more expensive than etex though. How long does it take for it to dry?

Hey, if it gives you a smooth waterproof surface on which to paint, what's not to like? I tend to use Devcon Two Ton because I have it on hand and it works well. If what you use does not wrinkle or bubble under the topcoat you apply, you're golden. As far as cost goes, I think the cost of almost any finishing or build material used on a crankbait is inconsequential compared to the worth of the final product. The main "cost" is in the labor.

I brushed a thin coat on a mahogany blank and it dried in less than an hour, mind you it was in my garage in summertime. I subsequently bored a 1" diameter 3/16" deep hole in a scrap piece of wood, filled it with glue to see how it would dry. It took a few days, some of it soaked in but it did not shrink nor crack. After about a week it really really hardened, I could hardly dent it.

For a 16 fl.oz bottle it cost under $15 if memory serves me right. They recommend using it above 45 degrees F.

I going to finish this lure and report the results.

s54