jcampioni

Best Knockoffs?

I was just wondering what knockoff brand u guys have found to be off the best quality and run the best. Just did a 2 hour solarfall type shad pattern only to discover that the bill is screwed up. Dont know if I can fix it or not. Needless to say I am less than thrilled at the moment.

JMHO - If you want knockoffs that fish the same as the original, no. Knockoffs resemble the original but never have the same internals and so never are really the same. I guess I'm more pessimistic than Mark, but over the years I've tried many unpainted blanks from many sources and found only a few "winners". The winners perform well in their own right but very different from the original they were attempting to copy. Put enough monkeys in front of enough typewriters, and one will eventually hand you a Shakespeare sonnet.

That said, if you sort through the offerings, you will find a few that are good crankbaits. IMO, you stand a better chance among the shallow crankbaits and topwaters. One I like is the Janns Netcraft Shallow FG diver, a small 1/4 oz fat square lip bait. If you have Academy Sports in your area, their H2O series of crankbaits have an enthusiastic following and are often the "raw material" for repainters.

I was just wondering what knockoff brand u guys have found to be off the best quality and run the best. Just did a 2 hour solarfall type shad pattern only to discover that the bill is screwed up. Dont know if I can fix it or not. Needless to say I am less than thrilled at the moment.

I have had some problems with the shad body baits from jan's lots of tuning required