bazzman wes

Fine Airbrush Details

Hi guys,

I am having trouble making the thin lines or the rainbow trout pink line. I tend to get some splatter or wash out especially at the beginning of my line. I am using a paasche gravity feed. I think I may have to much air or too thin of paint. I use model master enamel or createx and have not made either work. Thanks!

I'm no expert, but the only way I can paint details is to use low air pressure and thin my paint. When trying to paint lateral lines or vertical bars I don't use over 10 psi and sometimes go as low as 3 to 5 psi. I can't tell you exactly how much to thin your paint. I use a "try it and see" approach to thinning my paint.

Hi guys,

I am having trouble making the thin lines or the rainbow trout pink line. I tend to get some splatter or wash out especially at the beginning of my line. I am using a paasche gravity feed. I think I may have to much air or too thin of paint. I use model master enamel or createx and have not made either work. Thanks!

You need to start the paint flow away from the body and sweep across.

Dave

Agreed I'd go with stencils. In addition I would start practice painting lines on a PVC pipe (it helps getting used to painting on a contour).

Something you might want to try is using stencils for doing things like gills or other detail work. Stencils are an easy way out for those of us who are not that proficient with an airbrush.

I am kind of new to this but one thing I have found to be a great help is tongue depressors. I paint Half of one to look like the bait I want to paint. This is to make sure it all works right. I then write on the back what I did. That way it is no big deal if you mess up getting it right. Sometimes I have gone through 2-5 before I get the look I want.

I will have to agree with RayburnGuy. Air pressure plays a big part in being able to shoot the fine lines. Most of the time I am running around 5psi for the detail work and about 15 for the rest. With using the AutoAir colors I thin them about 50% with there thinner. This allows me to get the fine details I like. Also if you are just starting out Stencils are a great way to go. I have found some great stencils in the Fingernail airbrushing section. They have a lot of small stencils that give some great results.

Edited by crankstr

I use the testors enamel and found that if you thin it 3:2 with lacquer thinner and shoot it around 22 psi you should get pretty good results. I test shoot on paper to see how it will look. Yellow post it notes work good too. You can see how the paint will shoot before you hit the bait with it. Vodkaman is right about how to shoot it. Scrap the stencils, it wont look as natural.

Skeeter

I use the testors enamel and found that if you thin it 3:2 with lacquer thinner and shoot it around 22 psi you should get pretty good results. I test shoot on paper to see how it will look. Yellow post it notes work good too. You can see how the paint will shoot before you hit the bait with it. Vodkaman is right about how to shoot it. Scrap the stencils, it wont look as natural.

Skeeter

Skeeter has a great idea that works for me, too.

You can actually stick the post it right onto the lure where you want the line to start, and begin on it, so you have a much better sense of where the line is actually spraying, and how it looks, before you move off the post it onto the lure.