CedarLakeMusky

Polycarbonate Vs. Acrylic (plexiglass)

I have used both and each seem to be working fine for me so far. I haven't had either one break on me yet. I make pike and musky lures which average 6-9 inches. I was curious about how they compare to one another so I searched around on the internet and found this website: http://www.hydrosigh..._vs_acrylic.php I was wondering what other members are using and what your past experiences have been with each of them?

Thanks,

CLM

It's a rare crankbait that will not eventually hit hard objects. If they don't, they aren't being fished aggressively enough. Polycarbonate lips are virtually unbreakable so that's my strong preference. It may yellow after extended exposure to UV light but most crankbaits don't experience that so it's not an issue to me. I would think lip toughness would be especially important on large baits that you hope will get gnawed by big fish.

Some of my very early lures(8" trolling baits of wood , thru-wired minnow style) I had equipped with plexiglass lips(found the stuff on the scrabyard of my work , it was used for machinery housing parts) .

When I took the three unpainted blanks upstairs to show to my wife , one accidentally slid from my hand and hit the kitchen floor with it's rear hook eye first causing the lip to break off exactly around the body outline , ......that location , where it met the wooden body !

Well , I surely was pissed off , .......but in order to find out , whether it happened accidentially or whether it might be a material issue , I've dropped the second and afterwards the third lureblank the same manner , ......on both blanks the lips snapped off instantly .

Off course I have never used that plexiglass stuff again , ....also elaborately cut out the the lip remainders from the blanks and made new lips from aluminium sheet !

greetz , diemai :yay: