MrHawes

Home Made Rod Late

I am looking for info to build my own rod lathe. I am interested in making fly rods

Mr. Hawes, I have been mulling over a very similar project myself, except for turning billiard cues for the tip replacement operation. What operations are you going to use your lathe for? The only things I can think of are cork sanding and top coat drying.

My specifications may be different to yours: speed 500 rpm, variable speed would be nice, load/torque requirements are very low.

My solution at the moment (inside my head) is:

Motor - variable speed hand drill, hard mounted in a frame. Belt driven, hand made pulley wheels to ‘step down’ the speed, probably 3:1 will do it.

Bearings – 1.5” inside diameter, or what ever I can get my hands on at the tight price. Mounted in moveable wooden housings. One fixed housing for motor driving.

Bed – 18mm ply, stiffened on under side with 2”x1” or what is available. Runners on the top, to align bearing housings.

Cue/rod holders – molded RTV tubes, split. Fit over cue and push into bearing.

The above is just a loose outline. I have not started the project yet, as I still need to source RTV locally. I have never actually seen a rod or cue lathe, I prefer to tackle ideas from scratch without copying other ideas. When the design is complete, I may look at what others have done, to see how different my solution is. Sometimes you win with a novel idea or solution, other times you lose and re-design.

If you want more detailed information or pics, I will hit the CAD and make a start.

Dave

I am looking for info to build my own rod lathe. I am interested in making fly rods

What material did you plan on turning in a lathe to make fly rods? Will your lathe be making two piece rods about 4 1/2' or will you be making fly rods from smaller pieces? Have you found anything yet on a Google search for fly rod lathes?

This is an interesting project. Keep us posted.

John

I used a plastic tool rack it has slots cut out in it to hang tools on. mounted it to a bench, table, or work surface. I bought it at sears. then I took two 1"by4"s and cut them with a v on top. turned a board flat on bottom; and attached it to the top part. then drilled 4 holes on bottom- so a long bolt will slide threw it. a round washer on the bottom slides into the plastic tool holder. the top of the v was lined with extra soft leather from another project. the rod holders slide back an forth accross the bench. I used a foot pettle from an old sew machine & a rotiserrie motor found on an old bbq pit. attach motor to another board even with v cuts. use round pvc pipe to attach rod to motor put 8 screws even spaced then put rubber bands to hold rod on motor. I used mouse traps to hold the thread & keep it tight while spinning.

you can also use two industeral wheels - find the ones that are fixed into place. turn them upside down on you work area and mount the as close together as you can without touching each other. take another two and do the same at the other end of the work area. you can now lay your rod on top and spin it. I took an old round pully from a car repair shop & mounted it to the end of my workspace. then had my lathe or drillpress beside it. ran a old belt from a car (or womans panty hose) from the motor to the wheel witch turns the fishing rod.