Rowhunter

Hard Bait Gallery

Well, as a bass fisherman I know nothing about pike and musky lures. But I enjoy seeing the art - that larger "canvass" on pike and musky lures results in some knockout paint schemes! TU is a community that includes both hobby and pro builders. I actually prefer it when a pro includes his company logo on gallery pics. It makes his commercial status clear and gives me an idea of 'where he's coming from'. Unless he starts posting prices and shipping rates with the pics, I don't think it's advertising. And if he does, The Red Gator will bite him.

Well, as a bass fisherman I know nothing about pike and musky lures. But I enjoy seeing the art - that larger "canvass" on pike and musky lures results in some knockout paint schemes! TU is a community that includes both hobby and pro builders. I actually prefer it when a pro includes his company logo on gallery pics. It makes his commercial status clear and gives me an idea of 'where he's coming from'. Unless he starts posting prices and shipping rates with the pics, I don't think it's advertising. And if he does, The Red Gator will bite him.

I don't like it. They are taking free advertising and breaks the rules, but that is just me.

If companies want to advertise, they should pay for the privilage. Either take out a banner advert or pay to be a club member, were they are allowed one link in the signature. Signatures are supposed to be a club member privilage, but apparently not. The rules should either be enforced or changed. I would be happier with either option. Rant over.

Dave

Yea some probably take it a bit further than they should. It's very kind of TU to let builders like myself attach any kind of logo or company mention but when you put your lure up in the gallery with the logo and webpage link right beside it it definitely looks like advertising.

We are seeing a bunch of new builders come into the market now because of sites like this one. Years ago many of the lures coming out of europe looked like they were carved with a rock, lol but now the work looks as good as anywhere else.

When I started building gliders 7 years ago or so you couldn't find a site on how to build one. It took me a full year to learn how to build a glider properly. Now in just a couple hours you can see how to weight, seal, prime, and paint a lure. A new builder can find pictures of lure dryers, paints, you name it.

I think ultimately all the new information is good because it has allowed all of us to become better at what we do and it allows far more people to enjoy lure building. No one I know has gotten rich at lure building, it's a labor of love.

Jed

Edited by RiverMan