gotmuddy

New Member In Need Of Guidance

I found this site through TFF and I am going to start dabbling in painting my own lures. I have a airbrush and compressor but I need some guidance on a good assortment of paints to start with. The reason I want to paint my own lures is because no one paints custom stuff like the bait we have around here. Often I fish in very clear water so I need a very lifelike crank to fool the big smallies that inhabit our rivers/creeks.

Another question, what is the best way to remove old paint from a crank before repainting it? I bought 20 H2O express cranks/jerkbaits from the Academy in Little Rock because they were on clearance.

I found this site through TFF and I am going to start dabbling in painting my own lures. I have a airbrush and compressor but I need some guidance on a good assortment of paints to start with. The reason I want to paint my own lures is because no one paints custom stuff like the bait we have around here. Often I fish in very clear water so I need a very lifelike crank to fool the big smallies that inhabit our rivers/creeks.

Another question, what is the best way to remove old paint from a crank before repainting it? I bought 20 H2O express cranks/jerkbaits from the Academy in Little Rock because they were on clearance.

I am very new as well so hopefully some of the more senior members will chime in. What I did was buy the primary colors so you can mix them to get just about any color you need to get started. After that I started supplementing with flouro's and pearlized colors that I needed for specific projects. It can be expensive if you go blow a ton on all the colors everyone uses, so start slow with the basics and add a bottle or 2 on paydays to help get you to the next level.

Question 2: What I do is use a scotchbrite pad to knock the coating off the H20 lures and lightly scuff that paint underneath, then hit it with a coat of rattlecan primer, then airbrush to my hearts content.

I hope some of this helps, maybe some of the professionals will chime in and offer a bit more.

Billy

I am very new as well so hopefully some of the more senior members will chime in. What I did was buy the primary colors so you can mix them to get just about any color you need to get started. After that I started supplementing with flouro's and pearlized colors that I needed for specific projects. It can be expensive if you go blow a ton on all the colors everyone uses, so start slow with the basics and add a bottle or 2 on paydays to help get you to the next level.

Question 2: What I do is use a scotchbrite pad to knock the coating off the H20 lures and lightly scuff that paint underneath, then hit it with a coat of rattlecan primer, then airbrush to my hearts content.

I hope some of this helps, maybe some of the professionals will chime in and offer a bit more.

Billy

Billy,

That's good advice, both on the paint acquisition, and the painting prep.

Don't spend a fortune on paints until you've figured out what you really like to use.

And just follow the KISS method.

We all learn the most from our mistakes, so make some, and learn.

I look forward to seeing some work from both of you here in the future.

Billy,

That's good advice, both on the paint acquisition, and the painting prep.

Don't spend a fortune on paints until you've figured out what you really like to use.

And just follow the KISS method.

We all learn the most from our mistakes, so make some, and learn.

I look forward to seeing some work from both of you here in the future.

Where do yall recommend buying paint from?

Gotmuddy:

Welcome to the site, there is a world of info here and it is where I got started as well as literally hundreds of other guys who design and make crankbaits.You will want to coat the lure with some type of final seal coating after you have completed the painting process. Some guys use Devcon 2 Ton epoxy that is thinned, I use Enviro-tex which dries to a hard plastic finish but the lure has to be turned durring the drying process. Anyway welcome to a great hobby and you might even make a few dollars down the line.

Rotorhead

I buy from Coast Airbrush... They match anyones price and have a huge selection

The only thing I saw that I would be cautious of if using a rattle can to prime. This method is ok if you Top Coat your lure with epoxy but most other topcoats will react and ruin the paint job. I goto Walmart and buy a bottle of white and a bottle of gray... mix then together and add abouout 35-40 Percent reducer and you have about 6-7 oz of primer for $2

I buy extra bottles at coast too... they have a bunch of sizes and different tops for around a buck... makes mixing a lot easier.

Gotmuddy:

Welcome to the site, there is a world of info here and it is where I got started as well as literally hundreds of other guys who design and make crankbaits.You will want to coat the lure with some type of final seal coating after you have completed the painting process. Some guys use Devcon 2 Ton epoxy that is thinned, I use Enviro-tex which dries to a hard plastic finish but the lure has to be turned durring the drying process. Anyway welcome to a great hobby and you might even make a few dollars down the line.

Rotorhead

I am gonna try it with serious trepidations because I generaly do not have a whole lot of artistic talent. I have never tried airbrushing.

I am going to order some paint over the weekend. What 10 colors should I start with?

Edited by gotmuddy

I am gonna try it with serious trepidations because I generaly do not have a whole lot of artistic talent. I have never tried airbrushing.

All I can say is go for it. I had never even been in the same room as an airbrush until I joined the club here at TU. I still have a lot to learn, but if I can do it I'm sure you can as well. Good luck.

Ben

Paint - It's really anything you think looks like Bass Candy. Google "color wheel" and you'll see that you can mix the basic colors to get intermediate colors. A short list for me includes flat white (for color basecoating) plus pearl white, neon yellow, bright green, light brown, silver, black, red, Caribbean blue, and any "metallic" shades of the above you like. The basic Createx colors come in both opaque and "transparent" versions. I like transparent colors for anything but white and black so I can layer colors for more natural effect. Shoot transparent colors lightly and the color under them shows through. Shoot them a little heavier and they are opaque.

The color wheel is a good idea I started out with like 14 colors and just mix for the ones I don't have. I use a color wheel all the time for this. I have opaque white that I use all the time and that can be mixed with any of the transparent paints if you are having trouble getting a color to stick to the lure without having to do 10 coats of paint. Get all the primary colors like yellow, blue, red and also get bright green, opaque black, opaque white, light brown, dark brown, orange, pearl white, pearl copper or gold, pearl silver and maybe a couple fluorescent colors if you want some really bright colors. This is what I had to start out and you can make any color by mixing these. Remember to be patient it took me about 3 months to get some real good looking baits. You will look back at the ones you first painted and may say these suck compared to what you are doing now at least that is what I did. So good luck and hope to see some lures soon.

Billy

Great advice and very well put !! The TU Guys are Great !! You can learn just about anything you are wanting to learn off of TU . Good Luck in your painting adventure, Beware it gets addictive !!

Here is what I ordered:

1createx 2oz airbrush paint Brite Blue - cx5106-02$2.70 1createx 2oz airbrush paint Opaque Red - cx5210-02$2.70 1createx 2oz airbrush paint Opaque Blue - cx5201-02$2.70 1createx 2oz airbrush paint Opaque White - cx5212-02$2.70 1createx 2oz airbrush paint Illustrator Base - cx5608-02$1.96 1createx 2oz airbrush paint Gloss Top Coat - cx5604-02$1.94 1createx 2oz airbrush paint Pearl Silver - cx5308-02$2.70 1createx 2oz airbrush paint Pearl Copper - cx5306-02$2.70 1createx 2oz airbrush paint Pearl White - cx5310-02$2.70 1createx 2oz airbrush paint Pearl Green - cx5305-02$2.70 1createx 2oz airbrush paint Deep Red - cx5124-02$2.70 1createx 2oz airbrush paint Tropical Green - cx5116-02$2.70 1createx 2oz airbrush paint Light Brown - cx5127-02$2.70 1createx 2oz airbrush paint Dark Brown - cx5128-02$2.70 1createx 2oz airbrush paint Medium Gray - cx5129-02$2.70 1createx 2oz airbrush paint Opaque Black - cx5211-02$2.70