Stivey

Dick Nite Water Reducible Top Coat

I ordered a sample of the S82 Water Reducible Top Coat from Dick Nite and I was curious how many people have used this product and if so heve you ever sprayed it with your airbrush. Any info would be helpful... Thanks!

This is a new Dick Nite product and most of us testers either dipped lures or brushed on the topcoat. No reason it can't be airbrushed with a little thinning but I think it really lends itself to dipping. 'Course, if you're getting a 2 oz sample, brushing or airbrushing may be the only alternatives.

Edited by BobP

Thanks, I'm new to this hobby, spent 16 years in the Air Force living in San Antonio so I was able to fish year round, sure miss Texas. Retired from the military and live on NW PA so trying to find something to do while there is ten inches of ice on the lakes. Been pleasantly suprised with the smallmouth fishing on Lake Erie have caught them up to 7 lbs, still nothing like Amistad or Falcon. I was looking at your gallery and saw you have glitter on some of your pieces. How do you do that?

Thanks!

Bryan

Those 6 lb open water smallies on Erie fight harder and longer than any 10 lb largemouth I've ever caught. I'm in it for the fun so think they are the top of the line in bass fishing. :D There are lots of ways to do glitter but I like to use it sparingly, so get the cheap glitter paint at hobby centers, thin it with water, and paint it on with a brush before I clearcoat the lure. 2 advantages - you can get as much glitter as you want and only where you want it, plus you don't have to worry about whether it will shoot through an airbrush or stick up through the finish as it sometimes does when added to the topcoat. For me, it just seems easier - and cheaper.

Got some of the new clear coat in a couple of weeks ago. It sprays fine but I wouldn't use anything smaller than .5mm. I am using my extra paasche with a #3 needle and tip and I don't need to thin it. My only issue I have seen is I did some clear baits with it and it seems to give off a yellow hue, it has only been 4 days so hopefully it is not fully cured and that will go away we will see. Also if you are going to brush it on be careful what type of brush you use. I was using a black sythetic brush and the black color bled into the clear and ruined a couple baits.