SDS

Screws

For those of you who use or make your own wood baits. Do you make/use the wood baits without through wire construction? If so do the hook screws handle heavy fish (musky). Have you ever had the hooks pull out of the wood? Assuming I make cedar wood baits should I use screw anchors like the ones on the market or will the screws hold in the cedar? Also, just curious dose anyone use a scroll saw during body forming or do you prefer a band saw? And if anyone would like wood vs plastic, what do you think?

For those of you who use or make your own wood baits. Do you make/use the wood baits without through wire construction? If so do the hook screws handle heavy fish (musky). Have you ever had the hooks pull out of the wood? Assuming I make cedar wood baits should I use screw anchors like the ones on the market or will the screws hold in the cedar? Also, just curious dose anyone use a scroll saw during body forming or do you prefer a band saw? And if anyone would like wood vs plastic, what do you think?

Use 1.5" ss eyes from JannsNetcraft or make your own from SS wire and epoxy them in. I will post the thread where this was discussed.

John

Aiden James Lures

http://AJLures.com

First of all, right up front, I've never even seen a musky except on TV and in magazines, so I'm working from my experience with salt water fish like Bonita and Barricuda.

I would think that it would depend on the cedar you're using. There are some hard cedars that would probably hold sst screws just fine, and some that are as soft as balsa, and you should thru wire with that type.

A scroll saw is fine for light wood like balsa or soft pine, but it will work too hard, and be really slow, with harder woods like poplar.

A bandsaw can be used for any wood, and you can use it for PVC decking, like the AZEK I use.

I prefer the PVC because it's as buoyant as poplar, and totally waterproof, so I never have to worry about water intrusion and wood swelling. It's also hard, so it holds up really well to "testing" on rocks.

It cuts and machines like wood. Just use sharp tools, and sand with light pressure, or it will get hot and melt a little, turning it's surface sticky and hard to work with for a second, until it cools.

I can make a lure, paint it, and finish it in a day, using a water cured urethane top coat, and be ready to fish it the next.

Where do you buy pvc? Do you buy it in blocks or boards?

First of all, right up front, I've never even seen a musky except on TV and in magazines, so I'm working from my experience with salt water fish like Bonita and Barricuda.

I would think that it would depend on the cedar you're using. There are some hard cedars that would probably hold sst screws just fine, and some that are as soft as balsa, and you should thru wire with that type.

A scroll saw is fine for light wood like balsa or soft pine, but it will work too hard, and be really slow, with harder woods like poplar.

A bandsaw can be used for any wood, and you can use it for PVC decking, like the AZEK I use.

I prefer the PVC because it's as buoyant as poplar, and totally waterproof, so I never have to worry about water intrusion and wood swelling. It's also hard, so it holds up really well to "testing" on rocks.

It cuts and machines like wood. Just use sharp tools, and sand with light pressure, or it will get hot and melt a little, turning it's surface sticky and hard to work with for a second, until it cools.

I can make a lure, paint it, and finish it in a day, using a water cured urethane top coat, and be ready to fish it the next.

I use PVC as well, I like it because I can shape it, and throwb it in the tub and test the action without having to worry about sealing it first. You can buy it at Lowes and Home depot. I believe its namebrand is aztek(maybe). Lowes in NE has it up to 1" thick, which I like better. HD only has 3/4". Rob