j27

Using 3d Eyes For Balsa Cranks.

Just would like to know what method you guys use to glue/epoxy 3d eyes on balsa crankbaits. I've been painting eyes on and they're just fine but I just wanted to try something different. I have some cranks already painted and ready for topcoating. Do I need to glue the eyes on before or after the top coat? I'm sure that both methods can be used, I just wanted to know what was most common. It seems to me that if you topcoat over the top of them, it would take away some of the 3d look, therefore I was going to go ahead and top coat and then epoxy them on but I wanted to ask first. Also, should I drill an eye socket before glueing them in? Any input would be helpfull on this topic.

I use self-adhesive 3d eyes.

When I surface mount them, and then top coat over them, they really pop out and look bug eyed.

I usually drill a hole with a forstner bit and recess them. Just be sure and sand around the eye holes with 180 or 220 grit paper before you paint the lure, to soften the edge of the drilled hole.

Then paint, stick them in, and top coat.

I use self-adhesive 3d eyes.

When I surface mount them, and then top coat over them, they really pop out and look bug eyed.

I usually drill a hole with a forstner bit and recess them. Just be sure and sand around the eye holes with 180 or 220 grit paper before you paint the lure, to soften the edge of the drilled hole.

Then paint, stick them in, and top coat.

Thanks Mark, this info helps a bunch, by the way , great job on the Azek crankbaits, that might be my next project. Thanks again, j