Aiden James Lures

Has Anyone Tried Casting Epoxy?

It seems fairly simple to pour a two part silicone mold and then use casting epoxy to make lure bodies. Has anybody ever tried it? I am curious about the performance and durability of epoxy vs. wood bodies.

John

Aiden James Lures

Also, thanks to everyone who chimed in on the Zara Spook G-Finish thread! I think I've almost got it!

Edited by redg8r
URL removed

seems to me like it would not be buoyant enough and it would have little to no action.

Dsaavedra is right. Epoxy has a specific gravity of around 1.2 making it heavier than water. Epoxy is not that different to the resins used for molding, except for the viscosity. Epoxy would be too viscous to carry the required amount of micro balloons to reduce the density to a usable number.

Dave

Dsaavedra is right. Epoxy has a specific gravity of around 1.2 making it heavier than water. Epoxy is not that different to the resins used for molding, except for the viscosity. Epoxy would be too viscous to carry the required amount of micro balloons to reduce the density to a usable number.

Dave

What about ABS? Have you ever seen the makerbot? It is basically a 3-axis ABS printer.

What about ABS? Have you ever seen the makerbot? It is basically a 3-axis ABS printer.

I have been following the progress of this company. I don't think the finish is there yet, also the cost per lure is not going to be cheap at $48 per kilogram of raw material. Time per unit will not be quick, but they seem to have the automation side of things sorted out.

I would like one for making masters directly from my CAD data. A coat of epoxy and they would be ready for my duplicator. It is on my list, but out of range at the moment. I can make a wooden master for the duplicator in an hour, so it is difficult to justify the machine. Exciting technology.

Dave

I have been following the progress of this company. I don't think the finish is there yet, also the cost per lure is not going to be cheap at $48 per kilogram of raw material. Time per unit will not be quick, but they seem to have the automation side of things sorted out.

I would like one for making masters directly from my CAD data. A coat of epoxy and they would be ready for my duplicator. It is on my list, but out of range at the moment. I can make a wooden master for the duplicator in an hour, so it is difficult to justify the machine. Exciting technology.

Dave

What kind of duplicator do you use? Is it a CNC router?

John

It seems fairly simple to pour a two part silicone mold and then use casting epoxy to make lure bodies. Has anybody ever tried it? I am curious about the performance and durability of epoxy vs. wood bodies.

John

Aiden James Lures

Also, thanks to everyone who chimed in on the Zara Spook G-Finish thread! I think I've almost got it!

John,

I don't think epoxy is suited to casting hollow body lures.

Many years ago I tried to pour a chisel handle out of D2T, and found out quickly that it is brittle if it's thicker than a glue joint.

Now the formula may have changed in the 30+ years since I first tried to use it that way, but it is still a glue, first and foremost.

It is hard and strong, but it is brittle if it's unsupported.

That's why I stopped using it for a top coat on my jointed wood lures.

It is one that I designed and built. There is a thread about it, 'Vman rocking beam duplicator' in homebrew tools, but the pics have been lost. Here is a fresh pic:

iso.jpg

It is crude, but it works well.

Dave

Dave,

Every time I see your duplicater I am reminded of your genius. :worship:

Do you have a vacuum fitting at the bottom of the machine? That saw must generate a ton of sawdust.

Dave,

Every time I see your duplicater I am reminded of your genius. :worship:

Do you have a vacuum fitting at the bottom of the machine? That saw must generate a ton of sawdust.

I have tried a vacuum, but it only gets half if the dust. I will pay more attention to this problem when I build the next dup. Should be comming soon, as I am doing a lot of work with swimbaits and the current dup was only designed for small stuff.

Dave

Humbled and Inspired! I will send you a video of mine when it is complete.

Looking forward to that one. Love seeing other peoples solutions.

Mine looks like a crashed bicycle at the moment. I am in the process of finally motorizing it. Struggling with the control box at the moment.

controlbox.jpg

I am fitting micro switches to automatically stop when it reaches the end of its preset travel, so I don't have to stand over it to make sure it doesn't tear itself apart.

Dave