rugbyfisherman

Matte Topcoat Options

i have a can of clear auto spray paint that says gloss, but its matte. one option you could do it to top coat with what ever you normally do...epoxy, auto clear, whtever. then go to a place like michaels, a.c.more they have a spraypaint section. pick you up a can of matte clear. if the bait is already top coated it cshould take much to to cover it in matte

Nathan, I think you're probably on the right track. The matte LC baits I have are covered in some kind of soft vinyl coating. Looks nice, don't know whether the fish care one bit (suspect they don't though). I haven't heard any pros extolling the virtues of matte finishes as far as fish attraction. The matte finish on my LC baits has proved not to be very durable and peeled off several of the jerkbaits even though they were rarely fished.

Question for those who go to the trouble of sanding lures to matte finish: If you wet a sanded epoxy surface, the scratches are filled in and it becomes clear again - so what's the advantage? I just don't see it.