starrSC

Hook Rash

I was just wondering how everyone deals with hook rash on there lures. I have quite a collection of different clear coats now and it seems no matter what i use all end up with scratches on the sides after every season. I usually just sand them lightly and recoat them with a thin clear. I've tried different hooks. I like the owner stingers because the tips curl in a bit and seem to bite less on the lure. No matter what I do I always just end up putting a new clear on them. Has anyone found a way to eliminate hook rash?

If it bugs you, it's possible to "T" (bend the tines) on the trebles so they reduce the amount of hook rash. Guys who troll crankbaits often do that. Alternatively, you can use VMC In-line trebles that center the eye of the treble so the tines swing equally on both sides of the bait. They are sold by Cabelas. There are also hooks like the new Mustad KVD trebles that have the tines bent slightly inward, which eliminates most of the problem.

I agree with BobP, T those hooks by bending them so they are farther away from the body of the lure. Usually one prong needs to be bent more than the other one. That stops the rasp, but more important, it really helps with hooking fish better because two points of the hook are not laying right next to the body of the lure. Musky Glenn