clemmy

Cutting Drill Bits?

Okay, right now I'm just using knipex round nose pliers an/or a block of wood with nails (heads cut off) to make thru wire forms. It has occured to me though that if I ever went into production I'd want something more consistent over time. I'm thinking aluminum or steel bar as base. I thought drill bits might be the perfect pins for it. You could simply choose the bit size that you want a loop, drill the hole, cut the bit, and epoxy in the back half of the bit as a hardened tool pin. Sounds great, but how do I cut drill bits in half without a metal band saw etc.? Who would I look up in the phone book? Or is there somewehere simply to order tool steel pins?

Thanks,

Clemmy

For small diameter wire, brass or roll pins would work for a while. Brass and roll pins are not near hard enough for producton though. Drill rod is an excellent choice, readily available, inexpensive and will most likely never wear or bend. Cutting a drill (high speed) is very hard, grinding or using a cut off tool is preferred. Dremel wheels work good, just mind the safety precautions! Epoxy will hold pins in if you cannot size the hole for a press fit. Good luck and keep us posted of the progress.

For small diameter wire, brass or roll pins would work for a while. Brass and roll pins are not near hard enough for producton though. Drill rod is an excellent choice, readily available, inexpensive and will most likely never wear or bend. Cutting a drill (high speed) is very hard, grinding or using a cut off tool is preferred. Dremel wheels work good, just mind the safety precautions! Epoxy will hold pins in if you cannot size the hole for a press fit. Good luck and keep us posted of the progress.

Per Tech Advice from E F Bailey, I used a set of sharp dikes to cut down 6" aircraft drill bits. Worked fine.

John

Per Tech Advice from E F Bailey, I used a set of sharp dikes to cut down 6" aircraft drill bits. Worked fine.

John

I don't deny the pliers will cut the drill bit for shortening it for drilling reasons, but will most likely leave a burr or not flush cut. The drill chuck will go over the top with no ill effects, but pressing into a sized hole, or positioning a handle over it may require the end be ground smooth. One more point to consider, is the pliers themselves, the cutting itself could damage them and the piece coming off will be launched so catch it in a box or against something. Another method I've seen, but do not condone is to place the drill bit in a vice, smack it a good one with the hammer and it will break, or partially drill it into scrap and give the drill a twist and it will break off in the scrap. But given the use, a dremel is probably the most advantageous.

UpNort I have a couple Dremels, but had not realized cut-off wheels would work, Thanks!

Whittler's response led me to look up spring pins, which led me to the Small Parts site, and I found out "dowel pins" are what I was looking for. They have all kinds of grades, and seem pretty cheap considering how few would be needed.

http://www.smallparts.com/stainless-steel-416-press-dowel/dp/B003STEALU/ref=sr_1_2?sr=1-2&qid=1303049848

Thanks All!

Craig