Brent R

Iwata Super Lube Or Not

Do any of you ever oil your airbrush.....I know Iwata makes super lube and i have seen where some use glycerin....What is the proper way to oil your brush? I read on another site that oiling is not needed...What do ya'll think???? Thanks for your time..take care

Brent

Do any of you ever oil your airbrush.....I know Iwata makes super lube and i have seen where some use glycerin....What is the proper way to oil your brush? I read on another site that oiling is not needed...What do ya'll think???? Thanks for your time..take care

Brent

I'm not sure but I put a drop of fine reel oil into the air valve and a light coating of oil on the needle occasionally before storage. You don't want to be shooting oil along with paint because many topcoats will fish-eye over any oil spot. All the metal in an airbrush is stainless steel or chromed brass, so it shouldn't need oil to prevent corrosion but lube may reduce friction and make the trigger work a little smoother. I've run my airbrushes both ways - lubed and not lubed - and honestly can't tell much difference.

Just started using the Super Lube a month or so ago. Not sure what it's actually made of, but it claims it will not interfere with paint as far as causing fish eyes and such. And it does seem to make the trigger pull smoother.You don't need much. I just turn the tube upside down and run the opening along the needle so I'm really not even applying a whole drop. I then run the needle back and forth between my fingers a couple times while rolling it just to make sure the needle is covered completely. I also apply a wee bit to the air trigger valve. I learned the hard way that the o-ring in the air valve can stick and tear. This made me shut down any painting until I could order new o-rings. (order extra....they're cheap insurance) The main reason I decided to try the Super Lube was the torn o-ring and the fact that it claims not to react inadvertently with the paint. I can't speak to using glycerin as I've never tried it, but am pleased with the Super Lube.