finlander

Wire For Balsa

Hi everyone. Been awhile since I posted here. I have read the archives and still have a few q's regarding using balsa. I have had some Hobby Lobby balsa sitting in the shop and would like to make some bass/walleye baits. Where/what wire does everyone use for small baits? Smallest I have bought at the weld shop is 1/16" s.s. Those were musky baits and I have grown out of that phase. THANKS!

For small cranks, I use 0.035" stainless steel 304 or 304L. I think 316 is suitable also, but I have not tried it. This wire is very easy to work with, easy to bend and virtually zero spring back. When in the shop, pinch the last inch of wire and check for ease of bending and no spring back and you will have the right stuff.

0.040" is still very workable, but it is amazing the difference that extra 5 thou' makes. The 0.035" holds the eye shape well, but if you insist on heaving eight pounders over the side, you might be better going for the 0.040".

Dave

I use 0.031 s.s. wire. I would make sure the hardness of your balsa if buying it from a hobby store as most of their balsa is on the light side ie: 6-9lb. per cubic foot. I use nothing less than 12-16lb which is about as hard as you will get. There is less tear out of your wire and belly weights. check out www.lonestar-balsa.com.

Jeff